Chapter 244

An hour later after the fire is out:
Matt's POV: As I walk into the mansion once the fire is out, I saw that my trucks were about to leave the scene when I stopped them. "Hermann, Severide, Kydd. We aren't leaving yet." They all turned to look at me confused. "What?" I then walked over to them. "Listen, before we say anything...I want to say something. Stella, you did great on Engine 51. I want you to take lead on there instead of having both a Captain and Lieutenant on Truck 81 understood?" Stella nodded and agreed. "Understood chief and that makes a lot of sense. Hermann did the same."

I nodded before looking at them all. "Okay so listen. I shouldn't think this way but...as a new chief, you already know I am under a lot of scruteny. Therefore, before we leave...I want to take a quick tour of the scene. This is a mansion, it has a lot of money and I just want to cover my bases that we didn't break anything or that we don't write anything wrong in the report that can come back to haunt us. I am not sure what we are dealing with. But the homeowners were on scene and it's not normal for someone that rich to still be in Chicago in February."

We all looked at each other when I said that and agreed. Stella agreed the most. "You make a good point Chief." I nodded. "So listen, the three of us are going to go inside together. I want to see if we can find anything that can lead us to believe that this was anything but an accident. I don't want to be seen as the bad guy but...if the owners put my men at risk just to claim money because they need it, then they have another thing coming. I am not letting Boden's house be tarnished this soon after his death. Nor am I putting my job on the line already."

We all nodded in agreement. "How many floors in the building Severide?" Severide then thought about it and turned to check. "I see 3. Maybe 4 with the basement." I agreed. "Stella, take the second and top floor with your guys. Severide, take the basement with your guys. Severide, I want you to check the panel and every possible place where you think that this could have started. Hermann, take the main floor and help with the second floor with your guys. Severide, I am coming in with you to check if this is you know." They all agreed and nodded.

Meanwhile, Jay walked over to me. "Dude, why are you sending your guys back in when the fire's out?" I then sighed and turned to look at him before leading him away from the homeowners. "Dude, I am doing you a solid. Right now, we still have the scene under our control." Jay seemed confused. "Until I leave this scene, it is still CFD in charge. And fires are our specialty. Dude, it doesn't take a genius to know that those homeowners over there were way too calm for this to be just be an accidental fire." Jay then looked at me. "You thinking?"

I bit my lip and nodded. "Jay, listen...I get this is against protocol but, my guys are the experts when it comes to fire. Let me take a quick look with my guys and see if we can get any evidence before you guys take charge of the scene. If I find something, I am going to send this to the Office of Fire Investigations. Then, you can work with them. I promise man, you are going to get the scene but, not yet. Plus, I have to make sure it was done right." Jay was confused. "Dude, this is the most expensive home in Chicago and I am a new chief. Just think about that."

Jay then laughed and understood. "Ah, you are worried about your job if they complain." I nodded. "Damn straight I am. So, I am going to make sure that I check everything off my list. Can you maybe try and figure out a way to let me just stay on scene for a bit? I just have this feeling man that this may be a crime scene. And if I can find you something that can make it a crime scene before those guys get a chance to bring their cleaners in and bulldoze the place. Then I sure am." Jay agreed and nodded. "You're smart and a good chief."

I smiled and nodded. "Thanks." I then went to walk away to Severide. Grabbing my jacket, we then proceeded to walk towards the door. "CPD is co-operating and they are going to keep the owners out of the way. Let's get this checked out guys." All of my officers agreed with me as we went to go inside the mansion to see what exactly happened today at the scene.