Chapter 231

Matt's POV:
After making my way downstairs with Gabby and the kids, I smiled as we walked into the living room to see some of our favorites set up on the table. Gabby seemed to notice too and wondered how he knew. "How did you know our favorites Gallo?" Gallo laughed when she asked him that. "I've worked at Molly's for a couple years now Gabby. I know the firehouse's orders by heart. Why do you think the food comes out so fast?" I then thought about it and laughed. "That makes so much sense now. It does come out pretty fast eh Gabby?"

Gabby nodded and agreed as she went to set Wally down in his  chair. Meanwhile, I did the same with Ella before seeing that Matteo was nervous. Walking over to him, I then bent down. "Hey buddy, you okay?" Matteo then got close to me. "That's mommy and daddy's friend Blake Gallo. We call him Gallo because he's a firefighter like your daddy and uncle Sevy." Gallo was confused when I used Matteo's nickname for Severide. "Who's uncle Sevy?" I then laughed while turning to look at him. "Severide. And Matteo, that's you uncle Blake." Matteo nodded and just went to sit down to grab some fries he liked.

Gabby then looked at Gallo and smiled. "Not that we worked together much but, Matt has spoken wonders about you. Says you were his second best candidate ever." Gallo laughed when she said that. "I heard I was the best." Gabby then turned to look at me. "You told him that he was your best candidate?" I then shook my head. "No, of course not babe. Gallo, you will never be my best candidate because Gabby was my candidate once. She will always be my best candidate ever." We then went to sit down and I smiled as I went to sit with him.

"So, you wanted to talk to us. I know you said what it was at the door but...I just heard talk to me. I want to be one of those chief's who you can talk to whenever...even when you are in private. Plus, you took time off shift so...it had to be important." Gallo then looked at us. "Oh, I am done shift. I worked the day shift so that the people you were closest to could celebrate your birthday with you. So, people like Hermann, Cruz, etc. We haven't been that close but, I just hope we can. I haven't really felt like anybody understands me much like you did."

I agreed and nodded. "Plus, you were the one who took me under your wing when I first got to Firehouse 51 and I hope that hasn't changed even though you are a father." I nodded and smiled. "Of course now. I can definitely be here for you. But, what's wrong. I can sense something is up Gallo." Gallo sighed when I said that. "It's just one of those times of the year. You know what I'm talking about. When you start missing your family. The holidays and stuff." I then realized why he was here. He was in another one of his grieving points.

I then turned to look at Gabby since she didn't know his backstory. "Uhm Gallo, I don't think Gabby knows your backstory so...can I just fill her in or do you want to?" Gabby then looked at him as she grabbed my hand. Taking a deep breath, Gallo then went to fill Gabby in. "When I was 12, there was a fire at my house. I lost my parents and little sister in that fire. I always stopped by Firehouse 131 and learned from them. They inspired me to join the CFD and have been doing it ever since." I smiled when he said that because I knew it was hard to always have to explain.

Gabby then grabbed my hand and rubbed it. "I am so sorry Gallo. How are you?" Gallo sighed. "Like I said, the holidays are hard. But, it's better when I am around my firehouse family. Just glad you understand that sometimes, I just need someone to be around. And with Boden gone...you are the only father figure I have left Matt." I nodded and agreed with him. "Well, looks like I have a 4th son." Gabby and Gallo both laughed when I said that before wrapping her arms around mine. "So, how are you doing right now Gallo with all your emotions?"

Gallo's POV:
When Matt asked me how I was with my emotions, I got scared. God, this was going to be complicated. I don't want to have to take a day off when he already has Hermann off. Yet, he can always pull me if he thinks I am not mentally there. "Listen, before you say anything...I just want to say that my head will be there tomorrow okay. Please don't take this and truen it around so you can tell me to take the day off. I am going to be fine." Matt nodded and agreed as he went to look at the Molly's I brought him. He then looked at Gabby. "Keep talking, I'll get plates. Matteo, want to come help daddy get some plates?" Matteo nodded and agreed as he got up.

Once they were gone, I looked at Gabby and sighed. "Sorry if I am interrupting your family time Gabby." Gabby then shook her head. "Gallo, you are family. Plus, gives me time to meet the guy who Matt personally brought into Firehouse 51. He told me a lot about you over the years." I was shocked when she said that. "He did?" Gabby nodded and smiled. "You have a lot of time to talk when you have babies. You wake up at all times of the night. Gives you moments you never expected to talk. However, it is a journey that I would never change. Nor would I change who I am on this journey with. Believe me when I say this, you picked a good father figure."

I was shocked when she said that she said that I picked him as a father figure. How did she even know that. "Uhm, how exactly do you know that?" Gabby laughed. "Because you are talking to him in the same way that I used to talk to Boden. I don't have a good relationship with my father because of things you don't need to know about. But it's been hard. Grieving for my former leader, my father figure and the man whom my son called grandpa. I am not close to my father so, Boden was really the only grandfather figure that Matteo has ever had. It's hard on us and believe me Gallo, I understand exactly how you feel right now because I am dealing with it too."

I smiled when she said that. "Then it looks like I came to the perfect place to talk about how I am feeling right now. Maybe we can lean on each other for a while?" Gabby nodded and agreed. "Well, until 7. Then we need to rest because Matteo has to go to sleep if he wants to come to the firehouse again." Matteo then ran back in when she said that and smiled. "Please mama!" Gabby nodded and smiled. "Of course we can go to the firehouse Matteo. There is nowhere I would rather be than with family. Honestly...I already see you as family Gallo even though we've never worked together. It's because we are all so close at 51. Plus, I am going to work there too."

Matt then turned to look at her. "When are you coming back babe?" Gabby then smiled at him. "I am coming back when Wally is 3 months old. So, April 12th. Is that okay?" Matt nodded and agreed as he put his hand on her knee and smiled. "Then I want you to work on your ambo work. You can do stuff at the firehouse with them. Bandages, etc." Gabby then sighed. "I need you to set me up with my training again. I need to get my qualifications as PIC again." Matt then sighed. "Can you maybe not be PIC Gabby? That's too much stress for you." Gabby thought about it and then nodded. "Of course. Whatever you think is best. Stella is PIC then?" Matt nodded.

"Just curious, is Stella going to come back to Truck 81? Or are we stuck with you as Chief Captain?" Matt laughed when I said that. "Yeah, I think I might lead 81. But, from the outside. Just curious, what do you think about that? I know you normally listen to the captain when you go inside but...are you okay with following instructions from the outside?" I nodded. "Whatever you think is the best course of action for the house is what we are going to do Chief. After all, this is your house now." Matt smiled when I said that and nodded. "Listen, how about we eat supper and then we can keep going with this conversation?" I nodded and agreed as we all went to eat supper together so that we could talk more afterwards.