twelve

12. Unpleasantville

Stefan entered the living room of the boarding house, to see books scattered all across the room and his two older brothers rummaging through the bookshelves to find something.

"What are you two looking for?" Stefan asked curiously.

"Not your concern" Damon replied.

"No, but putting Caroline in harm's way, that is my concern" Stefan said.

"Don't pretend like you care about Caroline" Brayden snapped.

"She's Elena's friend" Stefan defended.

"And my girlfriend" Brayden retorted, "I would never put her in danger, but if you are so curious, then let me tell you, me and Caroline went to Atlanta, we had a blast together, we even met up with some old friends of mine, overall it was great day".

"Friends?" Stefan asked confused.

"Yes Stefan, friends" Brayden replied, "Believe it or not, I actually have friends, I'm not Damon".

"Rude" Damon said.

"I get it, you both are just bitter because one of us gets to be with the person that we love and poor Katherine and Kaitlynn are just out of reach, I mean that's what you're using Caroline for, right Brayden, to forget about Kaitlynn?" Stefan asked, making Brayden glare at him, "Unless there's another way for you two to get into that tomb, that what your friends say?".

"You're pathetic when you're fishing" Damon replied.

"You're transparent when deflecting" Stefan retorted.

"First of all, we don't trust you little brother, so even if we did know something, we will never tell you, because you lost our trust a hundred and forty five years ago" Brayden said, he walked over to Stefan and stood infront of him, "Second of all, don't ever say that I'm using Caroline, I'm not you Stefan, you're the one whose using Elena to fill in the gap Fae left behind, Caroline has her own place in my heart, she's not replacing anyone, not like Elena is".

Before Stefan could say anything, Brayden walked past him, not wanting to deal with his brother's judgement any longer.

"That's what you get for angering him" Damon commented, continuing his search and ignoring his brother's presence.

***

"Necklace?" Caroline asked confused, "Why are you giving me a necklace Elena?".

"It has vervain in it" Elena informed, "It will keep you safe from all the vampires".

"You mean Brayden and Damon" Caroline realised, "It will keep me safe from Brayden and Damon".

Elena sighed, "I'm just trying to look out for you Caroline, I don't want Brayden or Damon to compel you".

"They wouldn't do that, so you can keep this necklace, I don't need it" Caroline said, handing Elena the necklace back.

"Caroline, you need this, please keep it" Elena pleaded.

"Elena, Brayden already gave me a necklace that keeps me safe" Caroline snapped, showing Elena her crystal necklace, "This necklace is spelled by a witch, it stops vampires from compelling me, it even tells Brayden when I'm in danger, so your necklace is useless to me, I already have a better one".