twenty

20. The Last Day

"Tonight is a full moon" Elijah informed Brayden, Caroline, Stefan, Elena and Kaitlynn, as the group sat in the Salvatore's living room, "We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse".

"Caroline and Kaitlynn said that the sun and moon curse is fake" Stefan said, "That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus".

"Klaus is vampire born of a werewolf bloodline" Elijah informed, "The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting, but if he breaks it, he'll be a true hybrid".

"That's just great" Brayden mumbled, taking a sip off his coffee, then handing it to Caroline.

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon asked, entering the living room.

Brayden groaned in annoyance, he was already on edge with Klaus trying to kill Caroline tonight, the last thing he needed was Damon's attitude.

"We can kill him today" Damon reminded, "With Fae".

"No" Kaitlynn snapped.

"Fae will die, Damon" Caroline reminded.

"We are not saving Caroline's life by trading it for Fae's" Brayden said.

"All right, how do we break this curse?" Stefan asked curiously.

"Well, the ritual itself is straightforward" Elijah replied, "The ingredients, so to speak, you already know".

"The moonstone" Stefan listed.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon, to release the spell that's bound within the stone" Elijah explained, "After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each".

"And where do me and Caroline fit into it?" Elena asked confused.

"The final part of the ritual" Elijah replied, "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelganger, to the point of your death".

"And Caroline?" Kaitlynn asked, looking at the Forbes girl, who was busy staring at her boyfriend, who was now staring at the ground with a unreadable expression on his face.

"After Elena's death, Klaus will have to kill the female soulmate over the alter, since Caroline is a vampire, he will stake her, if she was a werewolf, her heart would have been ripped out, and if she was human, her blood would have been drained" Elijah explained.

Brayden looked at Caroline, she gave him a small smile and intertwined her fingers with his, letting him know that she was here, she wasn't dead yet.

"How are you planning on saving Caroline and Elena?" Kaitlynn asked Elijah.

"Elena, through this elixir" Elijah explained, taking a bottle of elixir out of a small wooden box, "This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina, it possesses mystical properties of resuscitation".

"So I'll be dead?" Elena asked confused.

"And then you won't" Elijah replied.

"What about Caroline?" Brayden asked, "How are you saving Caroline's life?".

"Not me Brayden, but you" Elijah replied.