sixteen

16. 1912

Damon entered Stefan's room, where he saw his youngest brother sitting on his desk, writing in his diary while rapidly taping his daylight ring on the table.

"Dear diary, a chipmunk asked me my name today, I told him it was Joe" Damon mocked, "That lie will haunt me forever".

"What do you want?" An annoyed Stefan asked.

"I was hoping me, you and Bray could hang, you know a little brother-bonding" Damon replied, "I mean, I know we don't actually hang out, we team up, we join forces activate our wonder triplets powers".

"First of all, wonder triplets, not a thing" Brayden said, entering Stefan's room, "Third of all, I currently don't like either of you so I'd rather not hang out with you two, third of all", Brayden turned to Stefan, "I ran of bourbon in my room and I'm too lazy to go downstairs so I'm stealing yours".

Stefan rolled his eyes but nonetheless pointed towards the bourbon, he then turned to Damon, "What are you doing?".

"Digging up clues" Damon replied, going through the bookshelf in which Stefan kept all his journals, while Brayden poured himself a drink, "Most of the originals are gone, but now we have a whodunit in town, hey remember when we came back for Zachariah's funeral?".

"Vaguely" Stefan replied.

"I've attended too many funerals in this town, you can't expect me to remember every single one of them" Brayden said, downing his drink.

"Why are you asking?" Stefan asked, slightly confused.

"If memory serves, he wasn't the first Founder's Council member killed that year, or even that month" Damon said.

"Where are you taking this exactly?" Brayden asked confused.

"I'm trying to remember what year it was" Damon replied.

"1912" Stefan informed.

"So much for vaguely" Damon teased.

"Of course he remembers that year, that's the year he went of the rails because of you" Brayden said, giving Damon a mock smile, who in turn rolled his eyes and grabbed Stefan's journal from 1912 and threw it at Brayden, who easily caught it.

"1912, or as I like to call it, the last time Mystic Falls had a serial killer on its hands" Damon told his brothers, as all three of them went down memory lane and remembered the first time they came back to Mystic Falls after being turned.

Mystic Falls, 1912

Stefan leaned against a tree and watched the townspeople enter the Salvatore crypt and pay their respect to Zachariah Salvatore.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Mr. Salvatore" a woman told Stefan, walking over to him with her friend, "I'm told you're a distant cousin of Zachariah?".

"His nephew, actually, Miss..?".

"Lockwood, Marianna Lockwood, and this is my friend, Samantha Gilbert" Marianna introduced.

"As in Johnathan Gilbert?" Stefan asked.

"My late grandfather" Samantha informed, "Did you know him?".