one

01. The Birthday

Tennessee

Brayden Salvatore sat on the bonnet of Klaus's car, waiting for the hybrid to call him and his brother to kill their next victim, while waiting Brayden took his phone out of his pocket and listened to the daily voicemail, sent by the girl who he was having trouble surviving without.

"Hey Brayden, it's me again, Caroline, your soulmate, hope you have forgotten about me already", even though he wasn't with her, Brayden knew what Caroline was feeling, she was terrified that Brayden has stopped loving her, he had found someone better and now no longer needed her in his life, what she didn't realise was that she was Brayden's everything, and as long as he was alive, Brayden was always going to love her, no one could take her place in his heart.

"So, tomorrow is Elena's birthday, and after much pleading from Bonnie, I convinced Damon to let Bonnie throw Elena's party at the boarding house, I would have done it but I'm too busy with trying to find you and Stefan, and I know right now, wherever you are, you're probably fuming with the thought of having Elena's birthday party in your house", a small smile formed on Brayden's face, Caroline was absolutely right, Brayden hated the fact Elena was celebrating her birthday at his house.

"You know, you can stop it, by coming here and crashing the party, I swear if you come, I'll kick everyone out myself, and then I'll wrap my arms around and never you leave again", Brayden sighed hearing Caroline's broken voice, he hated hearing the immense sadness in her voice, he hated not being there for her, he hated being away from her, but most of all, he hated the fact he couldn't let Caroline know how much he loves her, how much he will always love her.

"Alright, I'm running out of time on this stupid voicemail, you know if you just call me once, I won't have to leave you voicemails all the time, voicemails I don't even know if you hear, I love you Brayden, please be safe, and please come back to me, I'm losing my mind without you".

"I'm losing my mind without you too" Brayden whispered, staring at his phone.

It has been three months since Brayden and Stefan left Mystic Falls with Klaus, in these three months a lot changed, Brayden and Stefan changed, but what never changed, what never could change, was Brayden's love for Caroline and his longing for her, the more Brayden stayed away from the Forbes girl, the more Brayden lost himself, the more distanced he became from his humanity.

"Bray" Stefan called, walking over to his older brother, bringing him out of the thoughts of a certain blonde.

"What?" Brayden asked, staring at a photo of him and Caroline on his phone, it was the photo Lexi had taken of them on Stefan's birthday, a small smile formed on Brayden's face seeing Caroline's shocked face when he kissed her cheek.

"It's time" Stefan replied.

Hearing his brother, the small smile immediately left Brayden's face and a blank expression came on his face, and without saying anything, he stood up and walked over to the country house in which Klaus currently was in.

Stefan sighed and followed his brother, Stefan was worried for his brother, in the three months, Brayden had distanced himself from Stefan, it was like all the progress they made to become brothers again all went down the drain, it felt like they were back to square one, where Brayden and Stefan could care less if the other lived or died, but both the brothers knew that was a lie.