five

05. Kill Or Be Killed

It was night time, and Caroline had just come back from the Grill, after Katherine left, Caroline had stayed in the bathroom of the Grill, crying her eyes out, Katherine told Caroline to break Brayden's heart, but while doing that Caroline could feel her own heart break, Brayden was the last person Caroline wanted to hurt, whenever Caroline needed someone Brayden was there, and now when Brayden was hurting because of her, Caroline hated that she couldn't be there for him, all Caroline wanted to do was tell Brayden the truth about Katherine's blackmail, but Caroline knew she couldn't risk her mother's life either, for the first time in her life, Caroline Forbes felt utterly alone.

Caroline wiped her tears, and entered her room, to her shock, Brayden was sitting on her bed, waiting for her.

"Brayden" Caroline whispered, "What are you doing here?".

Brayden didn't look at Caroline, just kept staring at the floor, "I should have known" he whispered.

"You shouldn't be here" Caroline said, worried that Katherine was going to find out about Brayden being here.

"Why?" Brayden asked, finally looking at Caroline, allowing her to see his bloodshot eyes, that were full not only of anger, but also immense agony, like he was in physical pain, "Scared Katherine's going to find out?".

Caroline looked at Brayden in shock, "I-I don't know what you're talking about".

Brayden used his speed to stand infront of Caroline, making her flinch and step back, but Brayden grabbed her wrist and pulled her against him.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about" Brayden said, "Kaitlynn heard you and Katherine talking at the Grill, how could you not tell me Caroline?".

"I couldn't Brayden" Caroline cried, "If I told you anything, or if I didn't do what she asked me to do, then Katherine was going to kill my mom".

"So you decided instead of telling me, you were going to do what?" Brayden asked, "Break my heart, pick on my insecurities, make me hate you?!".

"You think this was easy for me, Brayden?!" Caroline yelled, pushing Brayden away from him, "I love you, hurting you wasn't easy okay, every time I said something bad to you, it hurt me, much more then it hurt you!".

"Then why not tell me, Caroline?!" Brayden yelled, "Or even give me some kind of clue, don't you trust me enough to know that I will never let anything happen to your mother?".

"I trust you, okay!" Caroline yelled, "I do, but I was scared Brayden, Katherine just showed up in my room one night and threatened to kill my mother, I didn't know what to do, I just knew one thing, that I couldn't let my mom die, so I did what Katherine asked".

"Which is what exactly?" Brayden asked, "What exactly did Katherine ask you to do?".

"She told me that I'm supposed to keep an eye on Elena, Fae and Stefan, and anything that happened between them, I'm supposed to tell her" Caroline replied, "And I was suppose to make you hate me".

"What does Katherine get if I hate you?" Brayden asked confused.

"I don't know" Caroline replied, "The only thing she said was that if you hate me, then you wouldn't save me".