twelve

12. The Ties That Bind

"Why the hell am I here?" Brayden complained, annoyed that Damon dragged him to the hospital so they could interrogate Meredith Fell, the new lady in Alaric's life.

"Oh come on, doesn't this remind you of old times?" Damon asked, "Damon and Brayden Salvatore, the notorious Salvatore twins, always up to no good, don't tell me that after teaming up with our baby brother you forgot about your original partner?".

"First of all, none of you are my partners, you two are just people I can't get rid of no matter what I do" Brayden replied, "Second of all, if we were here to create havoc I would be extremely happy, but we are not, you are forcing me to find out if your best friend's new girlfriend is a good person, something I don't care about".

"Speaking of the girlfriend" Damon said, his eyes finally landing on Meredith, he quickly walked over to her, while an annoyed and grumpy Brayden followed, "You know, we never got a chance to officially meet, Dr. Fell".

"You are Alaric's friends, right?" Meredith asked, "Damon Salvatore, I saw you at the council meeting", she then turned to Brayden, "But I have no idea who you are".

"I'm Brayden, Damon's brother" Brayden greeted.

"Nice to meet you, Brayden" Meredith said, "What are you two doing here?".

"Strolling the halls, Brayden's likes to wave at the newborns through the window" Damon replied.

Brayden glared at his brother, then turned to you Meredith, "Heard your boyfriend got attacked by an animal" he said, getting to the point.

"Brutal" Damon commented.

"Ex-boyfriend" Meredith corrected.

"It wasn't an animal attack" Brayden informed.

"Oh, she already knows that Bray" Damon said, pulling out a paper from his jacket, "After all she is the one who signed the death certificate".

"That's going to be a yikes from me" Brayden said.

Meredith looked between the two brothers, then after a sighed, gestured form them to follow her into an empty hospital room.

"Would you two rather I say he was staked like a vampire?" Meredith asked, after closing the door.

"Wasn't he the guy that coined the phrase 'animal attack'?" Damon asked.

"Why do you even care?" Meredith asked.

"Because Ric likes you" Damon replied, "If you're a psychopath, that would really suck for him".

"You two think I killed my ex-boyfriend?" Meredith asked.

"He thinks that" Brayden said, "I just think you're kind of shady".

Meredith scoffed, "If you two care about your friend, go figure out how Alaric came into the ICU on his death bed and walked out an hour later without a scratch" she said.

"Don't worry, we've already figured that out" Brayden said simply, he then turned to Damon, "Are we done here? Can we go now?".