thirteen

13. Total Eclipse of the Heart

Caroline, Kaitlynn and Fae entered their classroom together.

"So we all agree, no more moping about life's little failures" Caroline said, "And no more dabbling in the dark arts of boyfriends past, this is a fresh start".

"Couldn't agree more" Kaitlynn said, a smile on her face, "I happen to love fresh starts".

"So do I" Fae said, taking her seat, "But I would like to point out that I haven't been moping or dabbling, that's been you two, I've just been helping".

"No one likes a bragger, Fae" Caroline said, as her and Kaitlynn also took their seats.

"Wait, I thought you stopped moping and dabbling as well" a confused Fae said, "Didn't you and Brayden fix everything between the two of you?".

"We did" Caroline confirmed, a sheepish look forming on her face, "I was saying all that more for Kaitlynn's sake then mine".

"Wait, you and Brayden are back together?" a slightly shocked Kaitlynn asked.

"Yeap" Caroline confirmed, "Break time is officially over".

"That's, great" Kaitlynn said, giving Caroline a smile, but if you looked close enough, it was clear that it was a fake smile, something neither Fae or Caroline realised.

"Honestly, about time" Fae stated, "You two being miserable, makes everyone else miserable".

"Well now no one has to miserable anymore" Caroline stated, she then looked at Kaitlynn, "Nearly no one".

"It's fine Caroline, I'm okay" Kaitlynn assured.

"Oh please, everyone knows how much you love Damon, you're not okay, you're hiding your feelings" Fae said, "But fine, if you want to play hide and seek with your feelings, go ahead, but when those feelings do come out and you need a shoulder to cry on, me and Caroline will be right next to you".

"Absolutely" Caroline said, "Today is the dawning of a new ear for Kaitlynn, this is stage one in her metamorphosis into the land of the brave the free and the single".

"You and me aren't single" Fae pointed out.

"But our best friend is single, so for tonight, we are single adjacent" Caroline said, "So we can be her wing woman's", Caroline took out a flyer from her bag and handed it to Kaitlynn.

"Whitmore's annual bitter ball" Kaitlynn read, "A night to celebrate broken hearts, jilted lovers and bitter singles", Kaitlynn looked at Caroline, "This is my fresh start?".

"No, this is your purge, your cleanse" Caroline clarified, "This is where you rid yourself from the baggage better known as your tragic and mortifying first semester".

"I'll drink to that" Kaitlynn said, finally agreeing to the idea of bitter ball.

"Damon's going to kill you" Fae told Caroline.

"I'm doing this for him" Caroline defended.

"First of all, why would Damon kill Caroline?" a confused Kaitlynn asked, "And what do you mean you're doing this for Damon?".