fifteen

15. Stand By Me

"What?!" a shocked Brayden asked, standing in his room talking to Stefan on the phone, who just informed him that Jeremy was dead.

"It was Katherine" Stefan informed, "She must have been following them this whole time, when me and Fae went down the well we saw Elena holding Jeremy's dead body and crying.

"What about Silas and the cure?" Brayden asked, "What happened to them?".

Stefan sighed, "If there was anything in there at all, it's all gone".

"Wait, if Elena is with Jeremy's body, where's Bonnie in all this?" a confused Brayden asked.

"I have no idea" Stefan replied, "According to Elena, last night Jeremy had gone missing and Bonnie had gone to find him but she never came back, Brayden, Elena's in there waiting for the Gilbert ring to bring Jeremy back to life, but Jeremy was one of the five, a hunter".

"He isn't human, he's supernatural" Brayden realised, "The ring won't work on him anymore".

"Yeah" Stefan confirmed.

***

After returning from the island, Brayden and Caroline met up with Stefan and Fae at the Gilbert's house, Damon and Kaitlynn were still at the island looking for Bonnie, though the group was extremely angry with Bonnie and Elena, Jeremy's death shocked all of them, so for a brief second all of their anger was gone and filled with remorse but despite that deep down they all knew that this was karma for what they did to Kol but no one said it out loud, not yet anyways.

"How long has been like this?" Caroline asked, talking about Elena was refused to believe that Jeremy was dead, still wanting for the Gilbert ring to wake him up.

"From what we saw, since the very moment she saw his dead body" Fae replied.

"She hasn't said anything except she's waiting for him to wake up" Stefan added.

"Do I need to remind you all that he's not going to wake up?" Brayden asked, "Why is no one telling her this?".

"Look, deep down, I think she knows" Stefan replied, "But right now, I think her denial is protecting her from letting it all in".

"Denial doesn't help Stefan, it makes things worse" Brayden retorted.

"Brayden's right" Caroline said, "She can't stay like that forever".

"We know, but despite how angry we all are at her, we all can admit that neither one of us want to break the news of her brothers death to her" Fae said.

"You know, you can help her" Stefan told Brayden.

"Not happening" Brayden stated, knowing where his brother was taking this.

"How can Brayden help Elena?" a confused Fae asked her boyfriend.

"The sirebond" Caroline realised, "Brayden can use the sirebond to convince her that everything's okay".

"Like I said, that's not happening" Brayden repeated, "I'm sick and tired of this sirebond crap, I don't want to use, I won't use it especially not to bring Elena freaking Gilbert out of her denial phase".