twenty

20. Do Not Go Gentle

"Where've you been?" Damon asked, pacing up and down his living room, while on the phone with Alaric, "I've been calling you all day".

"Yeah, sorry about that, I just needed to get my head together" Alaric replied from the other side, as Brayden entered the Salvatore's living room and walked straight towards the bourbon.

"So, I take it Rebekah got the stake?" Damon asked, making Brayden look at him curiously.

"Don't know" Alaric replied, "I woke up alone, there's no sign of it".

"Lovely, what now?" Damon asked.

"Well, I think I need to get out of town, you know, somewhere secluded" Alaric replied, "I keep blacking out, which means I'm still a threat to everyone".

"I don't know if right now's the best time for you to be going on a spirit quest, Ric" Damon said.

"Ah, just for a couple days, I'm stocked up on Fae's herbs, so I should be fine" Alaric assured, making Brayden frown, "Uh, I gotta go".

After Alaric hanged up, Brayden looked at Damon, "Fae didn't give him a new stock of herbs yet" he reminded, "If he's actually taking it them, then he should be running out, not being stocked up, which means--".

"He didn't take the herbs" Damon realised.

"And the person you just talked on the phone, more then likely wasn't Alaric" Brayden concluded.

Both the brothers looked at each other in confusion, both wondering what Alaric's alter ego was up to this time.

***

Caroline, Fae and Kaitlynn were at the school gym, preparing for the decade dance.

"Where does this thing go?" Kaitlynn asked, picking up a chandelier and looking at it in confusion.

"Argh, you know what?" Caroline snapped, taking the chandelier from Kaitlynn's hand, "If Rebekah wanted to hang this monstrosity, she should've shown up to do it herself" Caroline handed the chandelier to another student, "Just no" she said, making both Fae and Kaitlynn chuckle, Caroline's eyes then landed on Matt and Jeremy who were hanging up the stars, "What are you doing?!" she asked, "You can't just hang them, they're supposed to trickle down".

"Trickle down" Matt laughed, while Jeremy just shook his head.

"You know, when you get married you're going to be a total bridezilla" Fae teased.

"Agreed" Kaitlynn said, looking at the Forbes vampire in amusement.

"Am not" Caroline defended.

"Are too" Fae and Kaitlynn said stimuteanously.

"I hate both of you" Caroline said, but the smile on her face told them something else.

"We love you too" Kaitlynn said, putting her arm around Caroline's shoulder, while Fae and Caroline laughed.

"Anyways" Caroline said, removing Kaitlynn's arm from her shoulder, "Tell me who you two are bringing to the dance?".