one

01. The Return

After forcing Liz to go home, and assuring her that they were here, Brayden, Damon and Stefan sat in the waiting room of the hospital, waiting for any news on Caroline.

"Here" Damon said, handing a very worried Brayden a cup of coffee.

"Thanks" Brayden said, taking the coffee from Damon.

Before any of the brothers could say anything, Stefan's phone started ringing, "It's Elena" he informed his brothers, "Again".

"Hang up" Brayden said simply.

"I've already hanged up on her five times, it has to be something important if she keeps calling me" Stefan said, finally answering his phone.

"Doubt it" Brayden mumbled.

"Hey" Stefan greeted.

"Stefan" A panicked Elena said.

"Elena, what's wrong?" Stefan asked, suddenly worried.

"One of the tomb vampires entered my house and attacked John" Elena replied, "And Jeremy drank some of Anna's blood and tried to kill himself".

"What?" Stefan asked shocked.

"Please come here Stefan" Elena pleaded, "I don't know what to do".

Stefan looked towards Brayden, knowing right now, his brother needed him more.

"Go" Brayden said.

"Brayden--".

"Check on Jeremy, make sure he's okay" Brayden said, "I'm fine, Damon's here with me".

Stefan sighed, but nonetheless nodded, "I'll be there in a few minutes" he told Elena, after hanging up, he turned to his brother, "Keep me updated".

Brayden nodded, "Go Stefan".

***

"You okay?" Damon asked, his awfully quiet brother.

"I want to kill someone" Brayden mumbled, looking down at his slightly shaky hands.

"Bray--".

"This is my fault" Brayden interrupted, "I was the one who like an idiot trusted Bonnie to do the right thing with the device, it was me who told Caroline to go with Tyler and Matt, all of this is my fault".

"Brayden, stop" Damon said, "None of this is your fault".

Brayden lifted his hand up to touch his necklace, but he frowned when he realised it was gone, "My necklace" Brayden whispered, "Where's my necklace?".

"You might have dropped it in the fire" Damon replied.

Brayden stood up from his seat, "I need the necklace Damon, I'm going to go find it".

"Bray, wait" Damon said, stopping his brother from walking away, "That necklace is probably turned into ash by now, you're not going to find it".