two

02. True Lies

Brayden and Caroline laid on the side of the quarry, listening to the peaceful sounds of the waterfall, Caroline put her head on Brayden's chest, listening to his heartbeat.

"You are one complex vampire, Brayden Salvatore" Caroline said, tracing shapes on Brayden's chest.

Brayden let out a small chuckle, his eyes still closed, "How so?".

"We're in your head right now, we could be anywhere in this world, doing whatever we want, and you decide to do this" Caroline said, she lifted her head up and looked down at her soulmate, "Why?".

Brayden opened his eyes and looked at Caroline, "Because the simple moments are the moments that truly matter" he said, "These few good and simple moments give me the strength to keep going, they stop me from falling apart".

Caroline gave Brayden a small smile, she then leaned down and kissed him and Brayden gladly kissed her back, once they broke apart, Caroline caressed Brayden's cheek, "You know this isn't reality, right?" she said, "This isn't going to last forever, Brayden".

Before Brayden could say anything to her, Caroline suddenly started coughing and gasping for air, immediately worrying Brayden, who sat up and tried helping Caroline who was now coughing out water.

"Caroline!" Brayden yelled, suddenly Brayden's eyes opened in reality, and he found himself back in the safe Silas had locked him up in, desperately trying to get out but failing everytime.

***

Kaitlynn entered her and Caroline's shared dorm room, "Megan's memorial seems to grow more and more everytime I see it" she told Caroline, who was busy packing Megan's things up.

"Ugh, college kids are so dramatic, she was on campus for, like, one day" Caroline complained, "She couldn't have made that many friends".

"Care, she's dead" Kaitlynn reminded, "Be a little sensitive".

"Ugh, sorry, I'm in a mood" Caroline said.

"You wanna talk about it?" Kaitlynn asked, knowing exactly why Caroline was in a mood, she's been in this bad mood the whole summer.

"No" Caroline said, "Because I know what you're going to say and honestly Kait, I don't want to hear it".

Kaitlynn sighed, "Caroline, till you get your closure from Brayden, you're not going to be able to move on, these moods you're in, they're going to keep coming back".

"I don't want closure from him" Caroline snapped, "I don't want anything from him, but I do want you to stop saying his name".

"Fine" Kaitlynn said, letting out a defeated sigh, "So, find anything while snooping in Megan's things? Did you talk to Elena about finding her dad's photo in Megan's phone?".

"I tried calling her but she won't answer my phone" Caroline informed.

"Seems like a lot of people don't want to answer our phone this year" Kaitlynn mumbled, "Anyways, I went to the hospital this morning to do some digging of my own and I got Megan's death certificate", Kaitlynn handed Caroline the file in her hand, "According to this, Megan committed suicide, no mention of the vampire bite on her neck, which means whoever made this death certificate is part of the cover up, just like the founder's council back in Mystic Falls".