twenty one

21. Before Sunset

Caroline walked down the empty school hallway.

"What do you mean you and Fae are ditching my clean up committee?" Caroline asked, talking to Kaitlynn on to the phone.

"After last night, Stefan refuses to let Fae out of his sight" Kaitlynn informed.

"Okay, so I get why Fae's not coming, why are you not coming?" Caroline asked confused.

"Yeah, I don't clean" Kaitlynn informed.

"Kaitlynn" Caroline pleaded.

"Caroline" Kaitlynn mocked.

"Pretty please?" Caroline asked.

"That only works with Brayden" Kaitlynn teased.

"You're mean" Caroline complained.

"I know" Kaitlynn laughed, "Hey, call me once you're done cleaning, I'll buy you some chilly cheese chips from the Grill".

"You better, it's the least you can do for ditching me" Caroline said.

Kaitlynn chuckled, "I will, I promise" she assured, "Now hang up and go do your duties of being the head of the clean up committee, which by the way I didn't know was possible".

"Bye Kaitlynn" Caroline laughed.

"Bye Care" Kaitlynn said, "Love you".

"Love you too" Caroline said, hanging up on Kaitlynn.

As soon as Caroline hanged up on Kaitlynn, she heard a door slam behind her causing her to turn around in confusion, she then heard a whoosh, "Hello?" she called out, looking infront of her, wondering who was here.

Getting no response, Caroline shrugged thinking she was just overthinking, she then walked into the gym, where to her shock, Rebekah was present.

"Where's Matt?" A confused Caroline asked.

"He bailed" Rebekah replied, cleaning up the mess around her, "Got called into work at the last minute".

"Are you kidding me?" Caroline asked, "So it's just us?".

"Yes, and you're late" Rebekah replied, "Clean-up committee started at eight o'clock".

Caroline checked her phone, "It's, like 8:02" she defended.

"Exactly, I managed to turn up on time and I didn't even get to attend the dance that I organised" Rebekah retorted.

Caroline sighed, "I'm sorry about your mom" she told Rebekah, "I mean, I know you, like, hated her and everything, but still, I'm sorry".

"I'm sorry about your teacher" Rebekah said, "He seemed like a nice guy".

Caroline gave Rebekah a sad smile, "Yeah, he was" she said.

"I'm gonna get started on the gym" Rebekah suddenly said, wanting to escape the now sad environment.

Rebekah left the gym and walked down the hallway when suddenly her way was blocked by a very much alive Alaric.