seven

07. Death And The Maiden

Brayden laid on his bed, having a nightmare of the time Silas trapped him in the quarry.

"My real face remind you of someone, Brayden?" Silas asked, before stabbing Brayden in the stomach with a stake.

"Silas" a shocked Brayden whispered.

Silas shoved Brayden into a safe, after locking it, he threw the safe into the quarry, leaving Brayden to drown over and over again for three months straight.

"Get me out!" Brayden yelled, rapidly banging on the door of the safe, he let out a painful yell when the water once again filled the safe and he once again started drowning with no one coming to save him.

"Brayden" Brayden heard Caroline's whisper.

Brayden gasped and sat up in his bed in shock, just as Caroline opened the curtains of his room, letting the sun in.

"Oh, hey" Caroline smiled, "I was just about to wake you, how was the sleep?".

"Horrible" Brayden admitted, holding his head in his hands.

"Well, it is the first time you've slept in your own bed since you lost your memories, but don't worry, slowly it'll get better" Caroline assured.

Brayden gave Caroline a small smile, "Not to be rude or anything, but why are you in my room so early?".

Caroline shrugged, "Do I need a reason?".

"To be in the room of a person you thought left you?" Brayden asked, masking his hurt with anger, "Yes, you do".

Caroline looked at Brayden wide eyed, "Oh my god".

"I didn't leave you Caroline, I was trapped, by Silas" Brayden said.

"You remember" Caroline whispered.

"Everything" Brayden informed.

"Wait, how did this happen?" a confused Caroline asked, as far as she knew, till last night Brayden had no memories.

"It was Tessa, she was here in my room when I entered last night" Brayden informed, "She was furious at me so she undid her spell and suddenly all the memories came rushing back".

Caroline laughed, "This is great".

Brayden looked at Caroline, "I wouldn't be so sure about that Caroline".

Caroline frowned hearing Brayden call her by her name, immediately her heart started telling her something was seriously wrong with Brayden, but before she could ask him what's wrong, he got out of bed and without another word went into his bathroom, leaving behind a terrified Caroline, who wondered if her biggest fear had come true, Brayden hated her for not looking for him.

***

Even though Brayden had no desire to be anyone's company, both his brothers barged into his room and dragged him downstairs to test his memories after Caroline informed them of Brayden remembering his past, as much as Brayden wanted to leave, he knew his brothers wouldn't let him till he answered all their questions so unwillingly he sat down and went through their interrogation.