fourteen

14. No Exit

Brayden opened the front door of the Salvatore Boarding House, only to see his panicked soulmate standing on the other side.

"You were right" Caroline informed, entering the boarding house, "He's off the rails, and this is from my mom", Caroline handed Brayden a file.

"Let me guess, people are missing and the random dead bodies that are showing up, they've been ruled off as animal attacks" Brayden said, without even opening the file.

"Check and check" Caroline confirmed, "But there's something else", Brayden opened the file and started going through it, "All the victims were found inside their homes without their head, and their skin was desiccated".

Brayden looked at the Forbes vampire in shock, "That would mean that Damon's feeding on vampires".

***

A frustrated Brayden sat on the couch in the Salvatore's living room, while Caroline paced back and forth infront of him.

"I shouldn't have let him go" a guilty Brayden said, "I should have stopped Stefan from saying what he said, I should have said something to Damon, then maybe he would have been fine".

"No, uh-uh, no" Caroline protested, "You are not turning Damon's roosting chickens into a Brayden Salvatore guilt trip, no one could've stopped him from going after Wes the other night".

Brayden let out a sigh, "So from all this, what I'm getting is that Damon and Enzo did find Wes, who ended up injecting Damon with the injection he was gonna give Kaitlynn, the injection that makes vampires feed on vampires.

"Good news, bad news" Caroline said, "Bad news is that when this happened to Jesse, we had to kill him but the good news is--", Caroline thought about it for a second then let out a frustrated sigh, "I'm sorry, usually, there's some good news".

"At least you tried" Brayden said, before looking down at the file on the table, "I have to find my brother, no matter what".

"Well, I can come with you" Kaitlynn informed, entering the living room, having eavesdropped on Caroline and Brayden's conversation.

"Kaitlynn, hey, I didn't know that you were here" a slightly shocked Caroline greeted, wondering what the Pierce vampire was doing here, she turned to her boyfriend with a questioning look.

In response, Brayden simply shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know why she's here, she just showed up this morning and still hasn't left".

"Right" a suddenly very suspicious Caroline said, but before she could say anything to Kaitlynn, her phone started ringing, taking it out of her back pocket, Caroline realised it was the Lockwood werewolf calling her, "It's Tyler".

A frown formed on Brayden's face, "Why the hell is Klaus's old minion calling you?".

"Be nice" Caroline warned.

"Is he hitting on you?" a jealous Brayden asked.

"Not everyone is hitting on me Brayden" an amused Caroline said.

"Uh have you seen yourself?" Brayden asked, "Everyone should be hitting on you".

"Well I'm glad they don't, because then we will have a pile of dead bodies" Caroline retorted.