twenty two

22. As I Lay Dying

"Damon?" Kaitlynn said, entering her room and getting confused seeing the oldest Salvatore sitting  on her bed, "What are you doing here?".

"I have a confession" Damon said, looking down at his fingers.

"What?" Kaitlynn asked, not knowing what was happening.

"In 1864, when you and Katherine first came to live with us, you thought that I hated you, and you had great reason to believe that, I was a great actor" Damon said, standing up and walking over to Kaitlynn.

"Acting?" Kaitlynn asked confused.

"I never hated you Kaitlynn, I loved you" Damon admitted.

Kaitlynn looked at Damon in shock, not expecting this, "What?" she asked, wondering if she heard him wrong.

"When I first saw you, I fell in love with you" Damon admitted, "But then I saw Brayden fall for you, and I decided to step back, and it was easier to hate you then admit that I was in love with my twin brother's girl, and I'm sorry for everything I did to you, from pretending to hate you, to daggering Elijah, I was wrong, and I know I don't deserve your forgiveness, but I just needed you to know the truth".

Damon stepped closer to Kaitlynn and placed a kiss on her forehead.

"You deserve the world, Kaitlynn Pierce" Damon whispered, and after staring at Kaitlynn for a moment, he walked out the room, leaving behind a speechless Kaitlynn behind.

***

Damon walked into the Salvatore's living room, he grabbed a vintage bottle of bourbon from the cupboard, and after grabbing a glass, he poured himself a drink, in his mind, this was the last drink he was going to have before he died, Damon rolled the sleeve of his shirt up and groaned seeing the bite get worse.

After downing his drink, he set the glass down and walked over to the window, he pulled the curtains back and let the sun shine into the house, for a moment he relished the sun, and then he took his ring off and let the sunlight burn him.

Before the sun could kill him, Damon was suddenly shoved onto the ground by his twin brother, while Stefan quickly shut the curtains.

"Get off of me" Damon snapped.

Brayden slammed Damon to the wall, "You don't get to die on me, Damon".

"Already am" Damon said, "You know what happened to Rose, Bray".

"Do I look like I care?" Brayden snapped.

"Bray, basement" Stefan ordered.

Brayden nodded and speeded his twin towards the cellar in their basement, shoving him inside, he locked the door, making sure Damon couldn't get out.

"Today is not the day for you to die" Brayden said.

"What's the plan, Superman?" Damon asked.

"Me and Stefan are going to find something" Brayden assured.

"Oh, right, a miracle cure" Damon said sarcastically, "Good luck with that one".