Chapter 233

Kai saw that Jennie had plastered a smile on her face despite remaining silent. He did not know what she was thinking about but he merely assumed that she was avoiding the topic of Lisa. He smiled saying, "It looks like I've forgotten once again that I shouldn't always bring up the subject of Lisa."

When Jennie saw that the elevator had arrived, she said, "Let's talk while we're walking."

"My car's parked beside the road. If you're free tonight, why don't you call Lisa out so we can have a meal together?"

Kai said it in a casual manner. Since the three of them had yet to have a meal together, this was not an excessive suggestion. This was perfectly reasonable because he was Lisa's friend and also Jennie's lawyer who handled her case that year.

Jennie hesitated for a while before she quietly said, "I don't feel like eating with him."

Her expression was extremely cold. She easily resembled an aloof goddess when this dull expression appeared on her already dangerously enchanting little face.

Kai, "..."

When she saw Kai's somewhat puzzled expression, Jennie explained.

"He's very busy. Didn't you see that he had already left with his little sister Nancy?"

Kai  secretly smiled. This was the first time he had heard a jealous tone escape Jennie's mouth.

"Frankly, I'd really like to understand Nancy better."

Kai was being honest.

Despite his status as her lawyer, he was also Lisa's friend. Additionally, he also harbored special affections towards Jennie.

When Nancy, who had certain close blood relationships with Somi, appeared out of the blue and lived in the Manoban Family Mansion, Kai secretly avoided her when he saw her harmless appearance after he had bailed her out just now.

After they had exited the elevator, Jennie opened her mouth and said slowly, "I was indeed the one who provided the police with the lead on Nancy this time!"

Kai was not surprised. He nodded and said, "Many of her actions were certainly suspicious. Could it be that Lisa hasn't realized?"

"I'm unsure whether he knows or not but you've seen today's situation as well. Lisa is protecting her. The incident that happened three years ago... You know about that too..."

Jennie was faintly choking back sobs as she spoke. She wholly swallowed back some of the words that were about to escape her mouth while a teardrop lingered at the corner of her eye...

Kai knew that her heart was troubled.

Lisa had not come forward to defend her at the first instance when that incident occurred three years ago, making the matter a thorn in her heart.

"Jennie, perhaps this is a painful topic in Lisa's heart..."

"Yes, it's definitely a painful topic to him!" Jennie could not bear to hear other people making excuses for Lisa. She continued, "I was the one who deserved all of this!"

Jennie was finally unable to hold herself back anymore as she spoke. The gentle woman sobbed quietly, her stifled feelings that lasted the entire afternoon now turned into troubled tears.

Kai panicked and took some tissue paper out from his pocket and gave it to her so that she could wipe her tears.

His tone was somewhat impatient when he comforted her, saying, "I empathize the trouble that you went through and the pain that you suffered at that time..."