chapter 8

The night didn't end fast. It was slow and painful. During dinner, Dana's mom gave me their family ring. She said that it will symbolize that Dana and I will get married someday. I should wear the ring so other guys know I'm not available.

Dana smiles at me and I think the bastard planned this. He pulls me aside, "I hope this shows that I love you Yeji and I'm serious about us."

When he said, I feel guilty all of a sudden. I have been so mean to him lately. He does work hard to provide for us. What's holding me back from jumping into his arms and telling him yes let's get married.

"I feel like I'm losing you Yeji. I know it's my fault and I will try to be better. I will try to help out with Eva more. I don't want to lose you" Dana says now tearing up.

"Dana, you've hurt me so many times now. I never feel like you care. I feel like you're with me because of Eva. You just want this family to work because you don't want to be seen as a guy with a baby mama" I say to him.

He grabs my hands and pulls me closer to him, "That's not true. I love you Yeji. So much. I love you and Eva and our family. It will be perfect once we're married."

"Marriage is not going to solve our problems Dana. If neither one of us are willing to change then it will never work."

"Why can't you see that I love you Yeji? Why can't you understand that? When I say I love you, I mean it!" His grip on my hands tightened.

I try to pull away but he's too strong, "because I don't think you do."

He lets go of my hands and slaps me across the face. I hold my cheek in shock because this is the first time he has ever hit me.

Regret is shown all over his face. He tries to grab my hands again but I pull away before he could.

"I'm sorry Yeji" he cries, "I didn't mean to. I just got so mad. I'm so sorry."

"I'm going home. Stay here. Eva can stay too since we already promised to your parents she's spending the night here. Don't call me or text me tonight. I don't want to talk to you" I say showing no emotions before walking away.

I get in the car and all my tears finally come out. This whole night is a mess. Dana hit me and now his parents think we're for sure getting married. It's late so I wonder if Ryujin is still awake. I really want to talk to someone.

I get home and call Ryujin on Skype hoping he's still awake. It rings until the end but no answer. I call her again but this time it rings a few times and he answers.

"Hello?" He sounds like he just woke up.

"I'm sorry for waking you up but I just really wanted to talk to someone" I say trying to hide my cries.

I hear him move around. I'm assuming to sit up, "It's okay. Did something happen?" He asks me.

"I think I'm engaged?" I say unsure "and Dana hit me."

"He what?!" He says a little loud.

"Where did he hit you? Are you okay? You should go to the doctor to make sure you're okay" he says frantically.

I really like that he didn't ask why he hit me. I hate when people ask that when they see a couple fight and one hits the other. There's no excuse for anyone to hurt their partners and by asking why, makes it seem like they're saying you probably deserved it.

"He slapped me. I'm okay. Just shocked. He's never hit me before. He's always put me down with his words but never physically hurt me" I cry some more, not even hiding it anymore.

"Where is he? Are you with him? Are you somewhere safe?" He continues to ask questions that gives me butterflies in my stomach.

"I'm at home. I told him to stay at his parents because I don't want to be with him at the moment."

"What about your daughter? Is she okay? Is she with you?" He ask sounding concern for my baby. The butterflies won't stop and this isn't good. I think I'm starting to like this guy and I don't even know what he looks like or how he is in person.

"She's with them. Dana's parents won't hurt her. They love her so I'm comfortable with her being with them" I say out of breath.

"Are you gonna stay in the house when Dana comes back home?" Ryujin asks. I can tell he's worried for me.

"I have to. I have nowhere else to go. I can't afford to live by myself and support Eva. I also don't want to risk him getting full custody of her."

"I can help you. I can send you money until you can support yourself" he says like its no big deal.

"Ryujin. That's too much. Why would you do that? You don't even know me. Why would you spend money on me?" I ask in shock.

"I don't like domestic abuse. My family is majority women. I'm not saying men doesn't go through it but women more so than men. I've witnessed my aunts and cousins get abused by their partners so if I can help someone to get away from it then I'm willing to do it."

"I can't take your money Ryujin. It wouldn't be right. I wouldn't even know when I can repay you" I stop crying.

"I'm not expecting you to pay it back. I understand if you're not comfortable on taking it but the offer still stands if you change your mind" He says.

I don't know why but for some reason him offering me money made me upset. Is he trying to show off his money thinking I'll be impressed? I feel like he's belittling me.

I wasn't in the mood to talk to him anymore so I said I want to go to sleep and hang up the phone. He messages me not long after apologizing if he said anything wrong but I just ignore it.