chapter 109

Today is Eva's birthday. We're just having a small celebration. It's also a farewell party so some of my family are here to say good bye to me and the kids since we don't know when we will see each other again.

My dad is coming too. I haven't really seen or talked to him since he found out about what my aunt did. He's actually been really hard on himself. He thinks it's his fault that it happened.

"Yeji, I can't believe you're moving to the states. I'm so glad you didn't ruin your life" my mom's sister smiles at me.

I'm at the living room with Ervin. I feel like it's a good place where people can find me if they want to talk to me. There's a few of us gathered here. Travis and Ryujin are in charge of the barbecue so they're busy. Eva is busy with playing with the other kids

"I'm so glad you stopped doing drugs, you look so much healthier now" another one says.

I guess it's not really a family gathering without the compliment insult combo where they sound like they're complimenting you but their words are kind of dissing you.

"You know if you can't find a good man, I guess a woman will do" one cousin says.

"You'd be jealous to have a woman like Ryujin to be your partner" Karina sits next to me.

"Why does everyone keep looking down on Ryujin? So if she was a man then she would be a great partner but since she's a woman she's still good but she doesn't equal to a good man?" My sister questions them.

"Tell me, what has your men given you? What have they done for you that's not required of them?" She puts the word required in quotations.

"Karina, it's okay. I know how amazing Ryujin is. I don't need their validation" I say.

"But I still wanna know. What makes their men better than Ryujin" my sister refuses to back down.

"Well like stuff around the house" my one cousin says.

"Ryujin does that" my sister shrugs her shoulders, "She helped Travis with the nursery for TJ. She's in the middle of building Yeji her literal dream home."

"What else?" My sister is really annoyed right now. I really love how she always stands up for me.

"We get it, Karina" my first aunt says.

"Why are you getting defensive? If Yeji is okay with it then why aren't you? Is something going on between you and Ryujin?"

"I'm not okay with it but I just don't see a point of wasting my time to explain something to everyone that I know won't accept it anyways. Karina brings up a valid point. Ryujin is a supporting, loving, caring partner. So yes, she's not in the same category as a good man, she's better than that" I finally say.

"We're sorry, Yeji" my second aunt apologizes.

"Look, I know a lot of you are new to seeing a same sex couple like this. We've seen them in public or in shows but never someone we know. It's okay to have questions but please don't disrespect us in the process" I tell them.

"So we can ask questions?" My cousin ask.

"Yes."

"About sex—"

"I'm not gonna talk about sex in front of my aunts" I cut my cousin off.

"Can I message you it later then?" She ask.

"Fine" I give in.

"Does it feel different? Like the hugging and kissing and affection?" My first aunt ask.

"No. Personally, I like it better but that's only with Ryujin. I still don't really consider myself as gay. I just don't want to put a label on who I am anymore. I'm just happy to be with Ryujin" I say.