chapter 51

A week later, I start looking for a job. I've applied to a lot of places but don't have much luck. I've had a couple of interviews but none of them called back.

I start to worry because I don't know how I'm going to support myself and Eva if I don't get a job soon. 

I'm not really picky with the job. I just need something stable and still have time to spend time with Eva. My sister says she can watch Eva for me when I work if she's not working. If she is, her boyfriend's family will help too.

Eva is currently taking a nap while I'm applying for more jobs. My sister walks into my room, crying. I close my laptop and I sit her down on my bed right away.

"What happened?" I ask.

"I'm pregnant" she cries.

"Why are you crying about it? Aren't you happy?" I place my hand on her leg.

"Travis and I haven't really talked about having a baby. I'm afraid of how he's going to react."

"Travis loves you. I'm sure he would be happy about it" I say.

"You think so?" She looks at me with her sad eyes.

"Yes. Travis is a good guy. You've been together since you were in high school. He's been there with you through thick and thin."

"I'm still afraid to tell him" she sighs.

"Hey I'm here. I'll kick his ass if he doesn't accept you" I say as scary as I can.

She laughs at me, "Stop trying to be scary. I can't take you seriously."

"I at least got you to laugh so I say it's a win either way" I smile at her.

"Thank you" She says.

"I should be thanking you. For letting us stay with you. I'm just glad to not be back with Dana" I say.

"Would you be okay if I end up moving to where Ryujin is?" I nervously ask.

"We already assumed you would. You've always been the type to move away" she says and I start to feel guilty, "but we are okay with it" she gives me a supportive smile.

"Even mom?" I ask.

"Yes. Besides Ryujin promised us that whenever we want to visit, she would buy our plane tickets" she laughs.

"Is Ryujin rich?" I ask.

"Shouldn't you be the one to know that? You're the one dating her" my sister chuckles.

"I never asked about money. I don't want her to think I'm after her money."

"We were joking though. It wouldn't be right to have her buy our tickets just to visit you."

We hear Travis come home and my sister starts panicking again. We hear him call for my sister but Karina is not moving from my bed.

"Yeji? Is Karina with you?" Travis knocks on my door.

I look over and my sister looks pale. She's really nervous. I take her hand and squeeze it to remind her that I'm here.

"She's here. You can come in" I say to Travis. He slightly open the door and peek his head in first. Once he sees Karina, he opens the door all the way and walk in.

"Why didn't you answer me I was looking for you?" Travis ask.

My sister doesn't say anything. She doesn't even look at him.

"Karina? Hello?" Travis walks closer.

"I'm pregnant" my sister blurts out.

"What? Are you serious?" Travis hesitates.

"I'm sorry" Karina whispers. I squeeze her hand tighter.

"Oh my god. I'm gonna be a dad!" Travis excitedly say.

Karina let go of my hand and stands up to approach Travis.

"You're not upset?" Karina ask.

"Why would I be upset? I'm happy. Were gonna be a family!" He picks her up and spins her around.

"Hey let go of me. You're squishing the baby" my sister laughs.

Travis put her down gently and immediately hug her. "Thank you. I love you. Thank you for carrying our baby."

"I did not expect this" Karina still in shock.

Eva wakes up so I go to pick her up. She lays her head on my shoulder since she's not fully awake. I watch Travis and Karina happily enjoying the moment of being in each other's arms. It makes me feel envious, announcing your pregnancy and your partner being excited with you.

The couple finally leaves my room and I'm happy for them. Travis seems to be really excited about being a dad and I'm glad.

I head downstairs so I can make dinner. I made myself in charge of cooking for everyone. It's the least I can do since they're letting me stay here.

I place Eva in her playpen in the livingroom and let her watch Mickey mouse clubhouse. I put on my Bluetooth headphone and call Ryujin. It's something we've been doing. We just call each other even if we're doing something, we just enjoy having each other on the line and randomly say things to each other.

"Ello beautiful" she says sounding happy.

"Why do you sound so happy?" I question her.

"Because you're calling me and I get to hear your voice?" She answers unsure.

"What are you doing?" I ask while grabbing the ingredients I need from the fridge.

"Just chilling with some of my friends" she says.

"Who?" I say feeling curious.

"Lia and Chaeryeong, not sure if you remember her. She was with me there when we met. My younger sister is here too" she says.

I just hum to acknowledge that I heard what she said. I honestly don't know how I feel about Ryujin still hanging out with Lia. I mean they're exes. What if something is still happening between them? I wouldn't really know anything. I just have to trust Ryujin that nothing is going on between them.

"You're silent. Lia and I just friends. Nothing else is going on between us" she says practically reading my mind.

I start prepping to make lasagna. "Yeji! I hope you're okay with me being here. We're really just friends but I'll leave if you're not okay with it" I hear Lia say.

"Are you on speaker?" I ask.

"No. She heard her name so she just assumed" Ryujin explains.

"Can you tell her I'm okay with it? I'm trusting you, Ryujin. And say hi to Chaeryeong and your sister for me" I say.

"Lia, you can sit back down. She says it's okay. Also, Yeji says hi" I hear her say to them.

"Hi" I hear three different voices say.

We stay on the phone while I finish cooking. I'm assuming they're playing a card game since I hear a lot of threatening words and cursing. I smile thinking about it. I imagine myself being with them someday, just having fun and laughing.

"Yeji! Ryujin is cheating!" I hear someone say.

"It's not cheating, Yuna. You just suck" Ryujin says. I laugh at the two sister.

I finish cooking and setting up the table. I tell Ryujin I have to go since it's time for dinner. I take Eva from the living room then call Karina and Travis so we can eat together.

We gather around the table and they thank me for cooking dinner. I feel at ease somehow. It's weird to not feel stress about everything. I still have to find a job though. We start eating and Travis is sharing about his day. You can tell he's still extremely happy about being a dad soon.