Eddie- Boat Ride

We all climb into the boat, all of us being Steve, Nancy, Robin, Eddie and me.

I've never been a fan of water, so as soon as I sit my hands get sweaty and I hold on for dear life.

"Bed before nine kiddos" Robin jokingly shouts to Max, Dustin and Lucas.

Steve uses the oars to guide the boat across Lovers Lake, the darkness creeps in and the silence grows, the only sound is the gentle splash of water and all our breathing.

My eyes dart all around the boat, my breathing becomes uneven and I force my eyes closed, focusing on anything but the dark water around.

"Hey, are you alright?" Eddie whispers across from me.

I give a single tense nod, eyes still closed, someone must rock the boat because it suddenly sways slightly, my hands grip the sides of the boat even harder.

Suddenly a warmth envelopes my hands and I crack open an eye to see Eddie's ringed hands holding mine.

Everyone else is too focused on the compass to notice us.

Eddie gives me a small smile and I smile back, even if it looks forced, which it is.

"Breathe in and out" He mumbles over the sound of the others talking. I do as he says, him directing me with nods.

His thumb rubs against my hand in a soothing motion, and I loosed my grip on the boat.

"Someone's gotta go in" I hear Steve say before he dives into the water, breaking my calm trance.

"Shit!" I shout, my eyes widening.

Nancy follows behind not long after, then Robin goes.

"Shit, shit, shit!" Eddie repeats from me, his eyes dart from the water to me, I shake my head but he's already patting my shoulder and jumping in, not so elegantly.

"No!" I shout after him, but it's too late.

I look from the water, worried where everyone is, especially Eddie. My worry turns to determiantion as I take off my coat and stand up on wobbly legs, taking a deep breath I hold my nose and jump in, fear and the darkness swallowing me whole.