Steve- Party Problems

I never wanted to come to this stupid party with Steve, but he insisted it'll be fun and "a break from all that studying." Which I reluctantly agreed to.

It's loud and almost everyone is drunk or at least halfway there, with the high school boys cheering and shouting, and the girls gossiping and throwing themselves at the nearest dude...yeah no thanks.

"I'll go get us something to drink, will you be alright here for a minute?" Steve shouts to me over the music, my heart skips a best at being left alone, but I nod anyway, putting on a fake smile as Steve grins at me, leaving me alone in the living room.

My eyes drift around the room, taking in the scene as I narrowly avoid being bumped into, when I finally see her. The one girl and her friends who have a problem with me for no reason, well I presume it has something to do with me dating Steve, I know loads of girls would literally kill me to have a chance with him.

The fake Barbie gets up from her place on the couch, laughing at her friends as they cheer her on.

Shit.

I turn around to quickly make my escape, but it's too late and her perfectly manicured nails grab my arm, digging into the flesh as she sarcastically says "I'm so glad you came tonight."

My face must show my unease, as she let's out a high pitched giggle, which just grates my nerves rather than make me feel weak.

"Me too, it would be a shame for me and Steve to just spend all night together...alone" I reply, narrowing my eyes and putting on a sweet smile.

Her nostrils flare moments before the unthinkable happens, her hand comes up and slaps me right across the face, with so much force my head is thrown to the side.

I still for a moment, processing what just happened whilst the party goes dead quiet, all eyes are on us.

I could tear up and walk away...

But instead I react.

My fist curls as I punch her right in the nose with all my force, she flies backwards onto the coffee table, crying as her nose bleeds.

I go to jump on her, but strong arms hold me back whilst people cheer and shout.

Steve's arms scoop me up as he slings me over his shoulder as I kick to get away, he walks through the house quickly as people move to let us through.

When we get outside, he puts me down, frowning. "Are you seriously mad at me right now?" I ask, stunned by his reaction.

He shakes his head, pacing back and fourth before kicking an innocent trash can across the lawn.

"Really?" I shout, now angry at him.

"Yeah, really!" Steve shouts back, pacing towards me as his hands run through his hair.

We both stare at each other for a moment until I give up and slump to the ground, leaning against the mailbox as I look at my red knuckles.

"I'm sorry," Steve softly says, crouching down and pulling my hand towards him as he checks out my hand, "I was just worried, and angry at myself for not being there to defend you, I knew I shouldn't have made you come"

I shake my head and smile, "I wanted to, at least I tried. Besides, I'm pretty sure I defended myself back there"

Steve gives me an unimpressed look as he helps me up, "Come on, let's go home and sort out that face before you look like a-"

"Finish that sentence Harrington, I dare you" I jokingly threat, as he wraps an arm around my shoulders.