Steve- Empty

I knock on Steve's door and smile as soon as he answers, but something about him seems off, like he's faking his smile.

We head upstairs to his room as he puts on a movie, and we cuddle on his bed for a while, but halfway through the movie he sighs and gets up.

"What's wrong Steve?" I ask, worried about him.

He scoffs a laugh but then turns and hus face crumples as he sadly says "I feel empty when you're not around."

He comes over and sits on the end of the bed, his shoulders slump as if he's finally given up faking his happy facade.

I crawl to where Steve sits and place my arm around him. His hands run through his hair and I see his eyes fill with tears.

"Where is this all coming from?" I softly ask, leaning down a bit to meet his eyes.

"My parents are leaving again for another two weeks," he mumbles, "I know I shouldn't be bothered by it, but I'm so fed up of feeling like they don't want me around." His voice breaks and he starts crying, his shoulders shake as he quietly sobs.

"Steve," I say, throat thick with tears but I have to stay strong right now, "you shouldn't feel empty because you're full of compassion for so many people, I mean you've practically adopted a whole clan of kids. Maybe sometimes you need someone to love you back" I say softly as he nods.

Somehow we both end up on the floor, as Steve's face buries into my neck as he cries, my arms wrap around his body as he slumps against me, and I stroke his back as he lets it all out.

A little while later, his tears stop flowing and the sobs turn to sniffles, I push him back a little and use my thumbs to wipe away his tears.

"I'm sorry I broke down like that, shit this is so awkard" Steve lightly laughs.

I shake my head and give him a small encouraging smile, "It's okay, I'm glad you told me, now let me look after you since you always look after everyone else"

I lead him downstairs and rummage through the cupboards as I cook him a fancy meal, Steve holds onto me the whole time, whether it's coming up behind me and hugging me, or holding my hand as I mix, he never lets go. I dance around making him laugh and smile as he groans at the delicious food.

By the end of the night I can tell he's faring a lot better, but I still insist on staying over so I can keep him company as we talk about our future.