CAMPAIGN- PART NINE

The next morning, after another fitful night of sleep, you get dressed and head downstairs, going through your head what you're going to say.

A car horn beeps from outside, and you curse in your head for Steve's not so subtleness. Looking out of the window, you see your newfound friends in the car with him.

Double checking your packed bag, you're about to head out of the front door, until your mother comes out of the kitchen.

"Who's that sweetie?" She asks in that always happy and sweet tone.

Holding in a snarky remark, you spin around and plaster a fake smile on your face, "I made some new friends at school, they wanted to hang out today," you make your smile bigger, "if that's okay with you?" You ask, knowing she'll agree.

"Of course honey, just be careful" She replies, coming forward and smothering you with her perfume, her hands hold your face as she kisses your cheek, smiling down at you.

"You've gotten such a big girl, my precious baby, never getting mixed up in trouble"

You roll your eyes and nod, little does she know you've befriended a suspected murderer and joined a gang of misfits searching for a creature from an alternate dimension. You finally leave, waving and practically shoving yourself through the front door and into Steve's car.

"Please drive" You beg Steve, who does as asked with no questions.

You all arrive at the boathouse, the smell of wood and salt from the lake fills your nose, and you take a deep breath.

Dustin marches through the door before you have a chance to suggest being gentle, but it's too late and as you all poke your heads through, Eddie's shouts break the peace.

"A little warning would be nice!" Eddie exclaims, jumping down from a ledge.

You smile as his eyes meet yours, his nerves calming down as they're replaced with anticipation of seeing you.

"Here, I packed you some more food and a blanket, plus a few books" You say passing him the bag, Eddie thanks you before rummaging around, freezing when he sees your surprise.

Slowly and carefully, as if its a diamond, Eddie pulls out your copy of Lord of the Rings.

"I thought you might like that one, although I've annotated it so you'll have to excuse my ramblings" You nervously laugh, stepping from one foot to another and toeing a stone.

"Wait, I get to crawl inside your mind?" Eddie asks with a smirk.

You blush and shrug, "You're not missing much".

Eddie looks from you to the book, as he holds it to his chest, being careful with the pages, "I'll protect it with my life".

You smile and he smiles back, both of you absolutely dumbstruck by each other.

"Right, well that's cute and all" Steve breaks the moment, putting down a six pack of beer.

You look at him pointedly and he shrugs "He asked for it"

"I've got to get to work, so let's go kiddos" Steve announces, pulling his car keys from his pocket.

The kids say their goodbyes to Eddie, and Dustin gives Eddie a quick hug before going back to the car.

"Hey Steve? Would it be okay if you picked me up later since you come by anyway?" You ask with pleading eyes.

Steve looks between you and Eddie, before sighing and rubbing his face, "Sure, why not?"

As Steve leaves, he gives you a wink and calls out "Wear protection!".

You blush furiously at his suggestion before turning around to a very goofy smiled Eddie.