C2 | Part 17

-✘-

"If you let me finish maybe you won't mistake me for a murderer." Konan says with a vein popping out her temple and a fake disapproving smile. "I'm a mole. I work with corporate companies to enter their rival's business and steal information, strategies, and sabotage for a good price. But definitely not a murderer." She coughs fakely.

"Wh-why didn't you just say that-" Sasori exasperated, palming his face. "And what does it have to do with-"

"Just listen. We'll get to them in a bit." Konan grits her teeth at his impatience. "Anyway.. they have this rising business rival they want taken care of. What Mr. Fugaku wanted was for me to just steal information. On the other hand, Ms. Kurena, his ex wife who worked with him as one of the board directors, wanted the package..information leak, sabotage... I did it for her behind Mr. Fugaku's back. She pays good money. Unfortunately, it only worked for a couple of years, their rival company eventually increased their security and it was already beyond my capability that time. Ms. Kurena was determined to wipe out their rival and had asked me to plot a twisted criminal act. That woman's obssessed and crazy. Also mistaking me for someone like what you said. I obviously refused and ended my contract with her."

Sasori shrugs apologetically at this. She honestly does seem like the assassin type though. She got the looks and the.. right words for it.

"The following week, I got news that their rival company's CEO, several board directors, and some employees had a terrible accident on their way to a company outing. I find out later that Kizashi Haruno was part of that accident. Mr. Fugaku thought I had something to do with it so I had no choice but to tell on his ex wife. Clearly he also mistook me as an assassin or whatever. Ms. Kurena was fired from the company not too long after that. I have no evidence that she had done it, I mean she had the motive, but the thing was officially tagged as an accident despite all the rumors that the Uchihas had plotted it. There was also no signs of foul play."

"Coincidence?" Sasori doubts.
"I doubt, but we know how the system works. Anyway, years later, I was hired by Ms. Kurena again. I didn't want to be involved anymore with her, but she uh- had offered me an amount I couldn't refuse."

"I'm not judging." Sasori says.

"My only job from her was to look into the Harunos. This is when I uncovered that Mr. Kizashi was a survivor of that company accident who had amnesia. After reporting that, she just laughed and was no longer interested. She ended our contract. Then I was referred to a pretty decent job by Mr. Fugaku when he knew Mr. Sasuke was looking for a new secretary. That's pretty much it."

Sasori swallows. Man, he just wanted to know why Sasuke broke up with Sakura and he was suddenly loaded with confidential and traumatic baggage.

"It doesn't make any sense." He pours more wine in his glass, contemplating.
"Like I told you, working for them is just trouble, except maybe with Mr. Sasuke. He didn't need me much except block all Sakura's attempts to reach him. Wasn't an easy feat. I almost gave in, seeing how miserable she was. So I had to be a little harsh to keep her away." Konan offers her glass for another round.

It took a few moments and a few more rounds of wine for Sasori to actually process all these. Konan let him, given it was too much to take in. She had a complicated job ever since she worked with the Uchihas and never meant it to be that way.

"You don't suppose Mr. Kizashi remembers the Uchihas and the rumors?" Sasori concludes. So Mr. Haruno was part of their business company rival before and suppose he believes the rumors that the Uchihas were behind their tragic accident, it would make sense why he didn't want their family involved in the likes of them.