C2 | Part 21

-✘-

Sasori felt exhausted.

He had been busy catching up with tons of work after he took the time to meddle on business he had nothing to do about. He took on Sakura's birthday planning, managed to track and talk to Konan, manage to talk and create yet another beef with Sasuke, and talk to Sakura's parents into telling their daughter the truth. It was not an easy feat.

Talking to Mebuki and Kizashi was trickier. He didn't know how to play it, if he was going to be aggressive in pushing them to tell the truth or not. He really didn't have the right. In the end, he decided to play it cool. It wasn't exactly blackmailing them, but maybe in a way it is. He had told them about knowing the truth out of the blue, earning a confused look from them. He told them he spoke to a woman named Konan who used to work for the Uchiha company and knew something about the accident.

They utterly believed that Fugaku was behind it. They didn't hold any grudge for that man, given that it was just rumors that it was their plot with no evidence. Revenge is not something they want as well. It's just that they no longer wanted to be involved with them.

He also explained that he spoke to Sasuke and how he had tried to keep the secret for a long time before he figured it out. Like he said, it wasn't blackmailing them, but Sasori believes they were smart enough to not risk Sakura hearing the truth from someone else and not them. He only knows they would do it sooner. He really can't face Sakura with all these things burdening him.

What is he even doing this for? He ran his hand through his hair, sighing.

Sakura?

It was undeniable how hopelessly in love he is with Sakura. He shouldn't have done this if he wanted to pursue Sakura. Konan was right, digging this truth out will only be bad for him. Then why? Why would he do this?

Is it because he remembered how Sakura was hurting and how that reckless Uchiha had the same look on him? Why the hell would he do all of this for him or for them? He doesn't even want him near her.

Then maybe.. he was somehow doing it for himself. If Sakura did fall for him, he wouldn't feel at ease knowing some other man made it possible for him. He wouldn't feel at ease knowing that he would have Sakura because another man gave her up. If Sakura knew the truth of behind Sasuke's intentions, would she come back to him or would her heart be finally free? Is that why he has been holding back these past few years? Just so Sakura could possibly love him for being him? It sounded so stupid.

Somehow he regrets this. He shouldn't have meddled and continue to waited for Sakura until her heart was finally free to love someone else. He should've just waited and shutted the hell up.

But what would be the reason behind why Sakura spent her birthday night with him? She clearly still doesn't know the truth. Does she not care anymore how that jerk broke her? It really got on his nerves. Still, he missed Sakura, but needed the space to think. He hadn't spoken a word with her since the morning after her birthday. He only hoped she was doing well, and really really hope she's not spending the nights with that jerk.

Sasori lies in his bed, exhaustion fills him. Just as about he was to fall in deep slumber, his phone rang. Her named popped out.

Sakura.

He bolted right up.
"Sakura.. sorry I've been bu-"
"Did you know?" Sakura said on the other line, cutting him off, her tone serious.
"Know what?"
"About Sasuke leaving me. Did you know?"