C2 | Part 12

The dinner night.

Sasuke doesn't know what Sakura was up to. Yet maybe Sakura was just probably doing this for closure. Sasuke didn't like the idea at first, but seeing Sakura on her slim tight black dress... suddenly he liked this. A lot. But he'll go to the pits of hell first before he admits it to her. She had changed a lot compared to the secretary he left 5 years ago. By then, he tried to convince himself she was just another woman who had stayed with him for more than half a year. But how could it be possible to think of her longer than you were actually seeing her? It was just half a year, what is there to cling on for 5 fucking years? She wasn't this classy back then. She wasn't like this at all.

But her eyes.. it was just the same as the woman he left. The gleaming emerald eyes who held him captive.

He left her for a reason. He respected her family. It was the best for her as Sakura's mother had pointed out, and he agreed somehow. He agreed because he knew who he was, he knew what he was capable of. He was a danger to a woman because he was a player. On top of it, business conflicts. As he tried to see how their future would be, it was just.. blank. He didn't know if they had a future together. He was bad at it because the last women he was with was already out the next morning. He was afraid she'd be the same with them.

Her father was a respectable man, very keen and logical. He didn't like the fact that her daughter was seeing one of the enemies. Sasuke knew that very well. Maybe he didn't know by then that she was worth the fight.

Sasuke was afraid of commitments but he used to have one with Sakura. It was a first. Sakura was a lot of first to him.

Seeing her now, he thought how his life would be if he only stayed.

Unfortunately, he didn't like it.

Compared to her now, if he had stayed, she wouldn't be like this. Happy, contented, had a lot of achievements, and probably satisfied with her life. He was convinced that he was the only one holding her back.

It had been a while since he had thought of something other than work and it's keeping him off guard. He really didn't like it, but being with her tonight... he doesn't regret it.

"So.. how have you been?" Sakura started as she handed out the menu to the waiter after he took their orders.
"There's nothing much to tell if it's not work related." He answered sternly.
"You're still work all over. I don't find it surprising." She chuckled and drank the iced tea on her glass. "I haven't really heard from you since 5 years ago.. and now, we're business partners who are having dinner tonight and completely talking. I guess I deserve some answers." Sakura dared, but playfully. He didn't know if she really does wanna know about the truth or just playing around.

"Fire away." Sasuke smirked.
"Okay... hm... so when you relocated and didn't tell me at all.. were you already planning this while we were together?" Sakura smiled.
"It was just a sudden offer I couldn't refuse."
"Ah, I see.."
"How about you? Where were you when I left?"
"Honestly, I was out looking for you when the incident was still fresh. I mean, I lost contact with you and your new secretary didn't want to give it to me saying it was your orders. But I eventually gave up anyway and now I'm here." Sakura had explained it and it was convincing that she was already over him. She said the words like it didn't mean a thing. It bothered him a bit.

"Don't you think you made the right decision? Giving up?"
"You really didn't give me much of a choice by then. You didn't want to be found." Sakura shrugged and smiled.

"Are you doing this for closure?" Sasuke asked straight forwardly.
"Maybe."

The intense conversation was suddenly cut off when the waiter brought their orders. Sakura still ordered her favorite, Sasuke noticed.

Sakura didn't like being interrupted in the middle of her meal, like always, so they had to finish off their plates before another conversation strikes up.

"This always hits me at the right spot." Sakura said in satisfactory after her meal. They both finished and Sakura immediately asked for the bill. Sasuke wanted to pay for it but Sakura said she got this covered. By then, the pinkette had asked to walk instead. The night was still young so the road is still busy from the corners. Sakura said she wanted to walk around the city playground, saying it was a nice place to talk.

"What do you really want to talk about, Sakura?" He immediately asked when they arrived after strolling through the streets.

Sasuke was bothered that Sakura wasn't asking the right questions, not that he wanted it, but it was bothering.

"I just want to talk to you... is it too hard to believe?" The pinkette laughed and sat at the swing.
"Apparently, yes." Sasuke muttered.
"Do you still like me?" Sakura stood and walked towards Sasuke. Looking him eye to eye.
"What?" Surprised and caught off guard, he swallowed.
"You heard me." Sakura smiled.

It was obvious that she was trying to seduce him. Or probably he was just so seducted at her. With her height compared to his, and her awfully slim tight dress with a plunging neck line, it was hard to say No, but it was even harder to say No when he knew something about her was clinging to him since 5 years ago.

Before he could respond, she said, "It's good if you don't. I just wanted to check on you. You were a big part of me. And honestly, I would have to thank you for.. leaving. It did me a good favor." Sasuke was convinced she was true to her words. It would be easy for her to move on after all, he had left her and hurted her feelings, she might as well hate him, and that redhead was there for her anyway.

"Then it's good."
"Yes it is.. how about you? I mean.. you know.. anyone in mind?" Sakura sniggered. He knew what she meant.
"No.. and I don't think there will be after you."
Sakura's smile faded. "Why not?"
"I end up hurting people when I touch them. Very opposite with my paperworks." Sasuke chuckled for the first time tonight.
"Won't you be lonely?"
"You know me, Sakura. I've been living alone from the moment you met me until now. I think it's much better off that way."

"Oh.. I see. I just.. thought your house is awfully big for one person only."
"Was it just right when you entered my house before?" He asked jokingly.
"Hm. Not really. It was still big for two. I guess it needed one more person. A small one." Sakura laughed.

Was she indicating a baby? A family? Sasuke had his straight face again. He was processing her words. He swallowed. Sakura felt he was feeling uneasy about what she said.
"Sorry.. I just.. you know. When I was with you I've imagined living in your house, and we'll have a baby.. but looking back now.. it's just so silly of me."

Sasuke didn't know she was serious enough about him to the point where she see her future with him in the house with their child. And he felt guilty because he didn't see anything like it. But knowing now, imagining it, it suddenly felt right.. but so wrong because it's never going to happen.

It never will.

Before the stroke of midnight, Sasuke had safely returned her home. "Let's call it a night." He muttered as he parked the car and waited for Sakura to remove her seatbelt. There was a solid minute of silence before one of them spoke.

"Thank you for this night, Sasuke."

Sakura reached out her hand in his jaw‪ and suddenly.. he kissed him. A small, feather light kiss. Lip to lip. It made Sasuke temporarily immobile. He didn't see it coming.

"Goodnight." Sakura smiled while Sasuke felt stiff, yet his heart racing.

He was already in love with her... but he didn't know he could fall even harder.