C2 | Part 9

Monday.

That's what he said. Honestly, the pinkette didn't know what was the rightful thing to feel. Scared? Nervous?.... Excited? Just thinking about it more was driving her nuts.

Punching in to her contacts, she immediately contacted the redhead on her phone with a sweet smile temporarily stuck on her face.
"Sasori here."
"Sasori! Thank you!"
"For?"
"Whatever you said or did to him- it worked. He said yes!"
"That bastard..."
"What?"
"Nothing. Congratulations."

"I'll see you at the office. I'm inviting you to dinner."
"Sounds like I can't refuse the offer."
"You can, you just don't want to."
"You got me. See you later."

Sakura and Sasori were indeed very close.
Back in college when she was just starting like he was, Sasori was there to guide her, and funny you should say that Sakura wasn't at all good with approaching foreigners so she didn't have much friends. Tamaki, on the other hand, was probably the friendliest person she had met and the three of them were instantly college buddies.

There were a lot of times they had to do group studies after class to catch up critical grades, but honestly, Sakura knew Sasori didn't need it, he was more likely their personal tutor than a study buddy.

These times meant dinner together- and sometimes- overnight stays and midnight snacks.

"Do you remember when our neighbors looked at you in disgust when they saw you with Tamaki and me entering the room-" Sakura laughed, sitting at the opposite table of Sasori later that evening.
"I try not to remember, thank you very much."

For a moment of silence, they couldn't help but feel nostalgic and how they wished Tamaki was with them.

Sakura was okay with this.

She was happy and contented and she just wished it remains that way.

"But... seriously." Sakura mumbled gently after placing her glass back on the table. "Thank you.. Sasori. You've been there for me for as long as I could remember. Thank you for staying with me until now.. and this... I couldn't have done it without you. I never thought we'd end up like this- I mean- wow, the first time I met you, your name was Aki and you work for your dad on a small ramen shop. Now, you're here, business just gets better and better for you. It's just that- all of this was meant to happen and... I'm just glad I met you."

The night ended in peace, though Sakura doesn't know how things will work between her and Sasuke, she was sure that feelings were no longer connected and will never be, after all, it had never been in the first place. Everything will be work-related. She was no longer the same Sakura he had met 5 years ago. She is fiercer than ever.

The day after was meant for a bonding time with Tenten and Hinata, but.... it turned out as much more of a nagging session.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE WORKING FOR HIM? ARE YOU CRAZY?" Tenten asked hysterically, eating her last piece of her butter biscuit. "WITH HIM OR UNDER HIM?"

"Tenten, calm yourself." Hinata asked politely for a hundred times, yet nothing worked.

"Sakura, you know better than this."
"Do I? Look- this is work related ONLY. Nothing personal. Good sport. Chillin', you know what I mean... and oh, it's with him." Sakura reasoned out.
"It's still not a good idea, Sakura."
"I have to try. This is not about us anymore. This is about me and my father's company. He is no one but a client."
"Right." Tenten greeted sarcastically.

"Besides, he's engaged to Ino, remember?"
"Is he?" Hinata asked, astonished.
"What? No." Tenten laughed.

"Look, the day I arrived here from the airport, Sasori and I went to have dinner and it so happens that I bumped into both of them, and then Sasori even congratulated them for their soon to be wedding."