37: Scent of Death | 2 |

"It might be better to interrogate Officer Nandine first before we proceed with our real task..." Pondered Lea as she leaped from one roof to another along with Seth.

"That's gonna speed things up on our side. If the unknown new source prove to be official, then we could take care of it as soon as possible."

"Exactly."

After deciding the modification to their mission at hand, the couple moved with haste. Then not long after, they landed at a courtyard full of Fruit trees.

"8.... 12...."

"I'll take care of the east." Seth suggested quietly.

With a nod, Lea and Seth jumped towards opposing sides. 

Silently, the people hidden within the cover of the night were revealed by their last grunts. They were halfway through the numbers when the mansion suddenly lit up its lights.

Alarmed, Lea and Seth immediately escaped from the vicinity with as much stealth they could muster. However, they were not completely successful as a couple of their opponents were able to follow their guise.

He looked towards Lea and immediately read her ruby eyes. With a sudden stop of his feet, Seth turned around to face the two chasing opponents leaving them surprised. In the brief moment they were distracted by Seth's actions, Lea disappeared.

She instantly reappeared at the back of the two masked individuals. Applying a thick layer of concentrated essences on both her palms, she swiftly hit the base of their skull with enough strength. And in seconds, unconscious bodies were sprawled on the paved ground.

With a nod, Seth and Lea took one body each and successfully hid away in the darkness.

  ★ ★★ 

In a barely lit room, two unrecognizable faces were tied at the center. Both were hanging upside down from the ceiling. And around them, stood a girl barely 16 and boy not much older than the former. As well as a fox.

When they stirred awake, one of them immediately cried in pain. While the other felt too much pain to make a sound.

"Quiet." Lea silently commanded.

Surprised by her cold tone, the two strangers turned their upside down head to Lea's direction only to feel mystified for a moment.

When enough silence was recovered, Seth walked closer to the strangers and observed them carefully. "Aside from Officer Nadine, who else are behind you?"

His question too direct, the two strangers were left speechless and nervous. Lea had expected it would not be easy to extract information, thus she was prepared for the worse. As long as the captured remained conscious...

With a flick of her fingers, spears of blood vigorously stabbed outwards their veins where they previously streamed. The veins she targeted where of one of the stranger's leg, causing some line of blood to trickle down to his torso.

The pain was too much he couldn't help but cry, revealing an even more unsightly mess.

"Speak." Was all she said as she patiently stood at the side.

Realization suddenly struck the two strangers. If they would not say anything at all, they would die. A more painful death.

With trembling voices, the two competed in revealing crucial information.

"...we don't know anything...!! we were just hired for the money...!"

"really!! Nadine gave our boss money... and we were then sent over to his place.... they said it was a guarding job... is all...!"