155: Why do you love at all?

After the desolation of Apostles, many people and beasts alike had begun to spread all over the land. On this day, Duran's entourage mostly from the fallen Underground Metropolis were in the middle of emergency meeting within a small Alcorn City. It was a city situated just at the edges of Eden Kingdom.

Divisions Beggars and Military were numbered many with some handicapped for life.

Slamming a recently dried map of Ingrid, Duran confidently explained the gist of his grandiose plans of an emerging nation. "Before I begin, I would like to thank all of you for joining my council. We neither have the power nor resources, but after everything that has happened, most survivors has to begin from scratch one way or another.

As such, let me share my idea of a peaceful nation."

Hearing to this point, many within the private room of a certain restaurant couldn't believe what Duran had set out to do. They believed that there couldn't possibly be a peaceful nation, for they had been educated by the apostles in a certain way. Thus, a hand soared to the air and impatiently countered: "History have told us that peace can never be achieved as long as conflict reigns the heart of many. Do you suppose we ought to kill a part of ourselves to accommodate such a place? Do you believe that anyone can remain obedient with just headstrong ambition?

Nay! Look at us! Look at me! Thanks to the Elders' so called research for the greater good of humanity, I've lost both of my legs! And still, so much toil and time wasted yet tragedy still hit us causing our heart to burn and be filled with regret.

Tell me then, how can a young man like you be wiser than the Elders who had lived hundreds of years?"

In his long speech, he had long moved away from the table to show his legs that had been cut off from knee downwards. He had no feet to walk and even his left eye was lost during his escape amidst Eden Kingdom's civil war. He was only 29 years old.

Izaya looked at him with sympathy. He opened his mouth in an attempt to say some comforting words, but he soon closed it as he understood very well how devastating it was for a soldier that had been trained to fight since birth come about escaping death only to be left half a life thereafter. A soldier who cannot walk cannot earn their living from the things he was born for.

His golden cat-like eyes then darted to Duran, feeling worried. Contrary to his expectation, Duran was very calm. His crimson eyes remained without waves, while his hands clasped behind his back as he slowly approached the unfortunate handicapped.

Duran knelt on the floor with one knee, he gazed upon the soldier's upset expression as if he understood the other's pain and stubborn endurance. All eyes were pointed at Duran's strange silent actions, expectation brimming from within their chest.

Could this young man whose ambition were so impossibly high able to propose a solution to the so called 'unattainable peace' that was much needed to this world?

Then came his seemingly breezy tone that gave a feeling of nonchalance, but his words were far from being offensive. At once, all ears perked up with eyes glittering with complex emotions.

Duran said to the handicapped soldier: "You've lost half of your life yet you are here sitting in front of me. I can see from your eyes that you hope for my words to come true." He softly smiled, slightly narrowing his pair of beautiful eyes. "And because you have hope inside your heart and you've endured this undesirable consequences to your body, I'll share my thoughts to you. How does being the first High Chancellor amongst 7 sound to you?"

First High Chancellor? What kind of thing was this?

All around, amidst people's surprise, there was intrigue.