44: Saved by Slaves

Cold and dry, that is what a barren land is. No shelter, no nearby lakes, that is where the group of six current are.

Their storage food nearing its end, their days were numbered. Water was sufficient thanks to essence, but with the source weakened, they will not last long.

"...I see my Mom with her frying pan..." Bright whispered with his dry throat.

To his words, everybody remained silent. They all thought that if they waste their saliva by responding to every statement Bright would say, they would have died several meters ago.

The boy was hopeless. His mouth unconsciously spouting whatever his mind was seeing or thinking. He was now reduced to a mere ghoul. His ultimate goal was the horizon. "Towards the sun..." He puffed.

They had been travelling for several days without encountering a village, more so a house. The barren land true to its name; completely empty.

"If we had planned more properly..." Ulla muttered, her voice expressed obvious exhaustion. "Ulla, stop it." Raize said, intending to conserve every energy he could.

This condition of travelling went on for another day, until one by one they collapsed. In their mind, the phrase of "Is this really it?" briefly passed by. But they had tried their best to ignore that possibility as such they lasted a day longer. Their end inevitable.

Then all of the sudden, an expensive looking caravan was coming their way. They immediately followed their instinct. Jumping in the path of the caravan, they were ready to die just to steal its attention. However, the caravan swerved just in time to avoid the group. Cursing, they were desperate enough to use every ounce of their essence.

"[Nightmare Prison]" Raize unconsciously whispered. Above the caravan, a huge iron cage that emitted a purple glow appeared and trapped it within.

As if it was not enough, another word was summoned. "[Static Ivies]" With her voice soft and barely a whisper, ivies with paralysis effect sprouted from the ground.

With the two's combined restrain, the caravan lost its escape. A handsome youth hastily came down and met their eyes. He was surprised by their appearance, but only perceived them as bandits.

"What have you, bandits, want with me?" His clear voice that seemed to have been fed and rested well resounded in everyone's ears. They couldn't help but want to jump on him due to their sudden surge of jealousy. Despite their urge, they still had half the mind to restrain themselves.

The one who came forward was Kiel, "We need help, please." His voice was barely audible but there was no other sound besides his that was being carried by the wind.

Kiel's voice sounded so desperate and pleading that the handsome youth found himself wanting to help the strangers. Being wary himself, he thought of simply leaving ample of food and water. He understood he wouldn't be able to move away any sooner with their skills. Thus, with a sigh, he went back inside his caravan. At his actions, the others were feeling scared but not for long.

As soon as the handsome youth came back out, he was already holding two sacks of what may appear as food. He dropped them on the ground, by the iron bars that aglow purple. Then he dutifully went back inside his caravan once again, bringing with him a barrel of water. How he was able to carry it with his hands, nobody was able to process the logic.

After all his work, Raize and Ulla automatically removed their summons by withdrawing their essence manipulation. Then all at the same time, as if on cue, the six raced towards the sacks of food without reserve. Before they knew it, the handsome youth was gone. They couldn't even remember his face. However, they promised themselves that when they meet once again, they would return the favor. Although that was an empty promise until they remember the handsome youth themselves...