Chapter 247 Nato

"The shipping schedule isn't going to allow us to be back in Hoonah for the dance, ladies." Bam shook his head as he perused the calendar. "It's not possible. We can't afford to delay the run."

Lila and Jill stood looking disappointed at the response from their husbands. The dance was a tradition for them. They had never missed one and didn't have plans to miss the upcoming one.

"Can't Gabe and Bear cover the run?" Jill pleaded with Matt.

Matt hated disappointing his wife but he was in agreement with Bam. Neither Bear nor Gabe were qualified to run Bam's boat and Matt was the one whose order was being shipped. "Sorry ladies, it looks like business before pleasure this year."

"Then you two won't mind if we go without you?" Lila pointed at the brothers.

"By yourselves?" Bam's brow furrowed. "I don't really like the sound of that."

Jill chimed in. "We would be meeting Kay and Kenny. Just catching up on old times."

Matt exchanged a quick glance with Bam knowing they couldn't say no.

"Then it's agreed, you two will do your run and Jill and I will go to the dance." Lila smiled at Jill as they knew the pair couldn't provide an argument for them not to attend.
As the girls left, Bam looked at Matt. "I know. I know. We are going to have to make that dance."

*******************************
Lila and Jill walked into the dance excited to see a full house of friends and new faces alike. From across the room, they spotted Kenny and Kay and made their way to where they sat.

Lila was thrilled to see Kay as she had played such a big role in she and Bam's early relationship. Kenny offered to fetch drinks for everyone as the ladies spent time catching up on each other's lives. "What have you two done with Bam and Matt," Kay asked hoping to see her favorite brothers.

Lila explained that Bam and Matt had business outside of Hoonah and had chosen to work a run over the dance much to their disappointment. Kenny arrived back at their table with a tray full of drinks. "Lila, seems like you have an admirer." Kenny pointed back to the bar at a dark haired steely eye man. "He knew your name."

Lila turned to look at the man who was now headed in her direction. The familiarity of his stride and his gray eyes made her gasp.
Jill grabbed her arm as the stranger approached. "Who is that Lila?"

"Nato." She whispered back as he was now standing in front of her.

"Who's Nato?"

Lila stood up from her chair. "Beautiful as ever." Lila extended her hand to shake his but Nato pulled her into a hug. As soon as his hand grazed her waist, she felt herself jettisoned back to her sixteen year old self. 

Lila managed to get a few words out. "It's been along time. You haven't aged at all."

Lila blushed and replied, "And you are still a good liar." Jill was perplexed by the exchange trying to figure out who the dark stranger was.

"Oh, let me introduce you properly to everyone." Lila proceeded to introduce Nato to Kay, Kenny and Jill.

Jill begged the question. "And how do you two know each other?"

Nato jokingly replied, "From the back of a truck bed." Lila's eyes widened in surprise at his comment causing her to blush slightly.

"Like I said, Nato is a good liar."

"Care to dance?" Nato asked graciously.

Jill sat dumbfounded as Lila agreed to a dance. Nato led the way to the dance floor and wrapped an arm around her waist. Nato had also aged well and that fact wasn't lost on Lila. "What are you doing in Hoonah? Jack told me you were working in Juneau."

"Keeping tabs on me Lila?" Nato pulled her away from his chest staring into the loveliness of her eyes. "I've taken a job up here. I needed a change in scenery. Bad divorce and all." Nato sighed with a little disappointment. "And look at you. I heard you got married and have a couple of kids."

"I have three children now. Two girls and a boy."

"And where's your lucky husband tonight?" Nato asked already knowing she had arrived alone. "Can't imagine why any man would leave you alone?" Lila knew at that moment she should have excused herself from the dance floor but she didn't. Nato was her first crush and at the moment, he made her feel young and if just for that dance, beautiful as well.

Calum Scott-You are the Reason