Chapter 316 Revelations

The hunting trip was cut short because of the accident and the urgency to get Gabe back to town for proper medical care was necessary. Joe coordinated the transport of Gabe with his frat brothers while Bear readied the boat for its return back to Hoonah. Joe returned back to camp to help Bird pack the remaining gear and lock up the cabin. He felt awful about the turn of events and the silence was somewhat awkward.

"It's not your fault." Bird broke the silence first. "Every time we take out a hunting party there is risk."

"I know but I should have mitigated that risk instead I was distracted." Joe stopped packing as Bird put the last of the food stores in her napsnack.

"The beauty of Alaska is always quite distracting." Bird swung her pack over her shoulder.

"I wasn't distracted by the landscape."

"Did you a bear catch your attention?" Bird walked passed him to the door.

"No. It was more like a bird. A Snowbird."

Bird's hand froze on the handle of the door. She felt her cheeks flush with color but she couldn't make herself turn around to face him.

"Bird, I like you. I'd like to see more of you if you let me."

Bird opened the door. "We need to hurry. We can talk about this later. Gabe is the priority now."

"Of course." Joe followed her out the door and down the path. He hoped he hadn't overstepped his boundaries so he remained silent on the long walk back to the beach.

Once on board, Joe made sure Gabe was comfortable for the boat ride back to town. The choppy waters didn't help with Gabe's pain but Joe made an effort to distract him with questions about his family and their life in Alaska occasionally asking a question or two about Bird.

Bear radioed back to town to inform Bam and Matt of the accident and asked them to have Lucy waiting at the infirmary. He kept reassuring his brothers that the wound was not life threatening.

By the time Bear's boat docked, there was no stopping Lucy as she raced onboard tearing through the hunting party to where Gabe rested. Gabe managed to smile at her as she burst into tears at the sight of his bloodied bandage. He tried his best to make a joke about the situation which only made her cry harder.

"Are you trying to make a widow out of me? You could have been killed and our baby would never know you!" She sobbed and sobbed trying to hug him without hurting him.

Gabe knew that he was still somewhat dazed and confused but he could have sworn Lucy used the word "baby."

"Lucy," he stroked her cheek wiping away her tears. "Are we having a baby?"

It wasn't the way Lucy had planned to tell him or anyone else for that matter but her emotions had overtaken her like a tidal wave. The thought of a life without Gabe was unimaginable for her. And raising a baby alone was never in her playbook.

"Our baby?" A goofy look fell over Gabe's face.

Lucy slugged his good shoulder. "No Gabey, the milkman's baby."

"Huh?" His face scrunched up.

"Of course, your baby. You don't think I got knocked up by just anyone."

Gabe sighed happily. "Finally, a Gabey baby is on its way."