If I were a Zombie

I stumbled around, mindlessly. My eyes were wondering around, looking for food. It's been at least three days since I last eaten. Something like me could at least wait a month before it loses all memory of what it was and dies, but I still wanted to eat something, anything really.

I heard some sort of gurgling coming from behind a building, so I followed it. If there was gurgling, then there was food. It didn't matter if it was something like me, it still was food.

I looked over the side, making sure that it wasn't a trap. I wasn't as stupid as many others of my kind.

Sitting on the ground, looking like they were ready  for death, was a pale boned skeleton. They were panting heavily as tears thickly fell from their eyes, they gasping for air that they desperately needed. In their slim hands was a bloody and dusty dagger, a pile of dark tinted dust sitting in front of them.

Something pained me in my chest. I found it hard for me to see this... It filled me with this painful feeling... This feeling that made me want to do something to the uninfected, but not harm them... 

I looked around and noticed that there wasn't much of anything protecting the... Child? Yes, child... Nothing was protecting the child from beings like me...

I watched as they slowly stood up, their legs shaking, their tears still running down their cheeks. From the shadows I watched as they crept towards a building that had three floors. That would be good, most of the things like me weren't good at climbing, I'm just one of the rare few that can.

I stalked them up to the third floor, this one having a door at the top. I stayed back on the last platform, crowded in the shadows of the falling sun, the time more of us come out for snacking.

They closed the door, moving some stuff from inside to block the door for the night. You could tell from the low grunts and groans as well as the creaking woods.

I sighed as I walked up the steps and peeked through the cracks. This feeling of anger at the door for separating us only calmed when I saw them laying on an old bed, falling asleep with ease.

I waited for who knows how long, the sun having set maybe hours before and their body loose and their breathing calm.

I used a small bit of my strength to move the door, the door opening with little resistance. I made sure to move slow, so I didn't wake the child.

Once inside, I set everything up the way it was before. I didn't want the younger to fear me, nor run away...

Slowly, I walked over to the uninfected, gazing over them. There was this odd scent coming from them, it was sweet, alluring definitely. I crouched down so I was closer to them, their scent filled my senses and I only knew one thing... I had to keep them... I had to make them mine.

I laid next to them, looking at them as they shifted from me in their sleep, their soft face distorting in fear.

I reached a hand and lightly caressed the side of their cheek, letting my thumb rub underneath their eye socket.

Instantly their body relaxed and they smiled! The smile made the feeling in my chest burn with something! It hurt, but I loved it at the same time... I craved more of this emotion...

As gently as I could I pulled them closer to me, letting my arms trap them to my chest. They didn't seem to care as they smiled even more, pushing themselves into my chest once more.

The feeling in my chest pounded there, making me feel so warm... Making me feel so safe and... Oddly full.

Closing my eyes, my body felt relax and heavy and all I saw was darkness.