Goddess pt2

Many weeks had gone by since Jam had been stuck on that island. She didn't remember how many.

She didn't care though, the children were sweet to her, often asking her many questions. She couldn't answer any of them at first, and seeing that, the children devised a plan.

They often would repeat words more than once, subtly gesturing to the item or 'mindless' draw a picture of it.

It didn't take the dark girl long to understand what the children were doing, and she had to admit, it was helping. She was understanding them better, but they had to speak slow first.

Yet, while they were trying to teach her their language, she taught them hers. Well, she taught them her first language since it seemed to be the easiest.

As all of this went about, many of the older natives grew angry with her.

She wasn't like normal invaders and she had knowledge of medicine that surpassed even their great Healer. But she just was too quiet. She only looked at them with dull eyes, and most times she'd travel deep within the forbidden forest. She was a mystery that they hated.

The chief however, was intrigued by her and her actions. While the others saw her eyes as dull, he saw them glowing with curious fascination. He saw that while she didn't speak, she was learning.

He watched as over the several Rises she was there, her actions began to match that of the others. However, her actions were still so gentle and when she did speak it was so kind and caring.

He had also watched her enter and leave the forest unscathed and undeterred. She always returned with a basket full of herbs and odd berries that she then would crush together in simple medicines she would give to an injured or sick native.

He had also noticed that she did not sleep long or much during the nights, often sitting outside and staring up at the moon. She always looked deep in thought.

Paperjam saw the chief in her peripherals. He was openly staring at her.

He did that a lot, she noted. Sometimes he would follow her in the shadows too. She remembered that time he nearly scared her to death by waiting near the forest when she came out later than usual. His face may not have showed it back then, but he was worried about her, but scared to go into the forest.

A tiny smiled formed on her face.

Even though he acts so cold and cruel to her and his son, she knows its because he cares. Unlike most of the parents there, he was kinder, more gentler. He never actually hit either one of them, and only really yelled when he had to. The others didn't care how hard they hit, or how often they yelled. They were truly monsters to their children.

Her smile fell and her face became numb.

She hated how they all acted. So cold and cruel. They valued physical strength over everything, it was their system. A flawed system.

Many of the children were brilliant, having ways to take each other down and everyone else by their brains alone. They even had ways to make the 'white powder' that other invaders make!

Do the adults listen to their reasonable plans for such thing? Nope! They get shoved to the ground and yelled at!

A scowl formed on Jam's face, her hands clenching. She really hated how they all treated the children.

"Cne ju eua yiucr, Mujjkyy?" A deep voice murmured, breaking the woman from her thoughts.

She turned to the voice, easily knowing it was the chief. He was the only one near by, and the only one up at the late hour.

PJ sighed and looked down for a second.

"I still don't understand you." She whispered.

The chief frowned deeply at her words. She had said them often enough that he knew what they meant. He felt an odd pain in his chest about that. He knew what that pain was for though.

He wanted her to understand him, to talk to him in his language. He wanted to see her stumble over the words and blush in embarrassment before trying again. He wanted to see that so badly.

Still, the chief kept those thoughts to himself, he didn't want to be seen as weak. If he was seen as that, he would be killed without mercy.

Paperjam noticed that something had changed with the chief's demeanor. It became hard and cold, angry almost. When he was like that, she preferred to be away from him.

He noticed her tense, so he calmed himself of those thoughts. He was strong enough to scare them into submission. He was their chief who had yet to loose a fight.

The chief turned to the invader, who had scooted a couple inches away, her head looking up into the vast night sky.

He turned his head up too, confused. Why was the dark sky so important to her?

"Hkgazolar." She whispered, her hand reaching up to the sky.

Beautiful. She called the sky beautiful.

His head turned to her swiftly, his eyes wide. Her voice...  It was sweet, it made the harsh language of his people, soft and so gentle. How could she do that?

"Hkgazolar?" He questioned.

She nodded, pulling her hand back. She then looked to him.

"Vkgiklar." She was hesitant with the word, yet he loved hearing her say it.

She thought the sky was peaceful, that it was beautiful.

The chief turned to her, he wanted to hear more. It didn't have to make sense, he just wanted to hear her speak his language.

Paperjam blushed and turned her head away. He was staring at her so intently, it was almost impossible not to blush.

"Yzgxk." She murmured.

The chief didn't look away. No, he leaned closer to her. He wanted to hear her speak again.

"Yvkgq." His voice sounded desperate.

Paperjam looked to him, curious on his word. The children hadn't said that word before.

Gently, the tall man touched her throat, rubbing his thumb on the middle of it. She understood.

"W-Wsjx?" Her eyes narrowed in confusion, her own body pulling away at it.

Soft, one of the rather nicer forms of being called it.

The leader only relaxed and softly held the side of her cheeks. His gentle nature was confusing her. He was so rough and cruel usually.

Carefully, the man brought one of her hands to her heart.

"Mujjkyy." He whispered. She nodded to him, her eyes showing confusion. She still had yet to understand what that word meant, but it seemed to have been a special word. The man then moved her hand to his heart. "Lxkyn."

The small human blinked for a moment, letting it process. He had told her his name.

"Fresh?" She murmured to herself, confused on why he was called that. Yet, again, his son was called Cray, or Ixge.

The chief didn't correct her. He had heard the children tell her what his name means many times. She had said that word many times with his name. She was calling him by a name similar to his.

Paperjam nodded to him slowly, giving him a kind smile. It was his name, and hers wasn't normal either.

The dark girl turned from him, looking down. She was embarrassed. His actions were unusual to her.

Fresh quietly sighed, pulling away. He was becoming soft, he was becoming weak.

Quickly, he left, anger flowing into his veins.

What was that invader doing to him?