Small Town...

"What's the case about?" Terry asked. "Anything serious?"
"Kinda," said Mary. "Remember Freeman?"
"That whack who killed Marky's dad?" Terry said, remembering. "I thought he died?"
"Yes, but his body was never found," said Mary. "The police suspects that he survived and is still on the loose."
"But why after so long?" Terry asked. "This case was a long time ago, why bother searching for him only now?"
"Haven't you seen the news?" Mary asked. "People are being murdered and left to die in dark alleyways."
"So they suspect him?" Terry asked.
"Yes they do," said Mary. "The style is shockingly similar to his."
"Then we better hunt for him," said Terry. "I'll help."
"Whoa not so fast, Bogard," Mary said with a chuckle. "We don't know if he looks the same now. He may have greatly changed his appearance."
"So what?" Terry asked, raising an eyebrow. He looked over at Anton playing with Scott. "Even if he looks different, he wouldn't smell different right?"
"Yes that's what I was thinking of too," said Mary. "Anton just needs to sniff at evidence and we're good to go."
"Yeah, bring him to the next crime scene," said Terry. "You're working with Kevin, right?"
"Yep," said Mary. "He really wants to find that whacko. Marky's father deserves revenge."
"True," said Terry. "Well, I hope he doesn't mistake me for him again..."
"He actually mistook you for Freeman?" Mary asked, shocked. "How?!"
"A witness told him that the killer had long hair," said Terry. "And who else has long hair? Me..."
Mary started laughing. Terry couldn't help it too. Scott came to them with Anton.
"Why are you guys laughing?" Scott asked.
"Aww nothing," said Mary. "Anyway, how are you doing, kid?"
"Oh I'm good," said Scott. "I really like Anton. He's such a sweet doggie!"
"He is," said Mary, playing with Anton. "He's also very smart."
"I can tell," said Scott. "He's a police dog right?"
"Not really," said Mary. "But he went for police training."
They sat around, chatting. Mary was telling them about the evidences. Scott had no idea what was going on and they explained the whole thing to him.
Terry and Scott decided to leave earlier because Mary was actually really busy digging up info on the case.
"Can we go see dad?" Scott asked after hours of hesitation. "I really miss him. I wanna see how he's doing."
Terry agreed and drove him there. They went in together.
Scott's father wanted to get out of there. One of the counsellors even told them how he tried to escape through the fence.
The counsellors were being very patient with him.
"Don't worry, he will soon realise," said the counsellor. "He's going through withdrawal now. He will be better in a few days."
Scott was glad to hear that. He was sad to see his father in this state, but knew that it was all for the best. Especially for his father.
"Don't worry about me, Dad," Scott said. "Terry and Andy are taking good care of me."
"Scott, please get me out of here!" Mr. Patton kept saying. "They're torturing me!"
"No, Dad," Scott shook his head. "They're helping you."
"They don't wanna give me liquor!" Scott's father said before starting to whisper. "Can you get me a bottle of whiskey?"
"Dad..." Scott sighed. "You never changed, did you? Please, Dad. I want my father back!"
"No, Scott, I can't," Mr Patton said, sobbing. "I just can't! It's the only way I can deal with my sorrows. I can't live without my dear Rhythm! I need to find out who killed her!"
Terry sat up when he heard this. He didn't know that Mrs. Patton was killed. He had been thinking the cause of her death was natural or by accident.
"When did she die?" Terry asked suddenly.
"Six years ago," Scott turned to him, trying to keep from crying. "I was only eleven at the time."
Terry nodded. He texted Mary to ask her about the case. He felt that it would be wrong to ask the Pattons about it.
Mary: Sure babe
Mary: What's her name?
Terry: Rhythm Patton
Mary: I'm on it
Mary: I have access to the police database for now since I'm helping with the case
Terry: Aight
Mary started searching in the database and found her case file. She looked through the pictures taken during the investigation.
Mary covered her mouth in shock. Mrs. Patton was murdered in a very brutal way. She scrolled away from the pictures read the report.
Apparently, Mrs. Patton was staying late at work. It was around ten, and her husband would usually pick her up.
But that fateful night, her husband was really sick and was resting at home.
Mrs. Patton didn't want to disturb him so she just decided to use a shortcut home. She knew the place really well since she always used it to go home.
She texted Scott that she would just walk home. Scott wanted to ask his father to pick her up because of how late it was, but Rhythm refused, saying he must rest.
Scott waited for hours but she did not return.
The Pattons realised that she still hasn't returned the next morning and went to investigate.
They knew the shortcut too and tried to retrace her steps. They did not find her there.
That was until Mr Patton saw his wife's golden hair fluttering out of a dumpster.
He immediately broke down when he saw his wife's state. He didn't let Scott near her body.
Scott, panicking, just called the cops. He wasn't allowed to see his mother until the day of her funeral.
She was brutally impaled by a madman.
"The attacking style looks very familiar..." Mary quipped.
She realised that the murder was very similar to those committed by Freeman.
"Freeman..." Mary said grimly.
He not only took Mrs Patton's life, but he also ruined a family.
Mr Patton was devastated when his wife died. He started drinking uncontrollably. Scott's life was also ruined. He had spent his teen years taking care of his father.
He did not have fun and was yearning to do so. He wanted to hang out with some friends, but he didn't have any friends.
He ended up taking pleasure from reading the books that his mother wrote.
Rhythm Patton was an author and journalist. She loved writing stories in her free time.
The police suspected that her murder may have had something to do with her profession.
But it wasn't.
Because that particular day, two dead bodies were found less than a kilometre apart from each other.
"She might have been a witness..." Mary quipped again. "This madman may have killed her because of that..."
She sent the details to Terry.
Terry was buying dinner at the time. He didn't notice until he got home.
Mary: Here's the stuff about Rhythm's death
Mary: I suspect Freeman
Terry: Thanks
Mary: U owe me
Terry: I'll come over tomorrow
Mary smiled. It's been a while since she went out on a date with Terry.
Terry didn't tell Scott or Rock about what he just found out.
Right after dinner, he pulled Andy aside and told him about it.
"You mean that psycho, Freeman is responsible for her death?!" Andy asked, surprised. "What a small world..."
"More like what a small town," Terry corrected. "Poor Mr. Patton still hasn't gotten over her death."
"We need to find him," Andy said. "We need to help as much as we can."
Terry agreed. Mary told Kevin about it too.
"So that psycho ruined their life too, huh?" Kevin said. "This only fuels my anger even more!"
"I agree," said Mary. "Poor Rhythm. She left so much behind."