The narrow shave

"So you managed to make it," Iori said with a smirk. "I just finished telling them of our next performance."
"What's up with the getup?" Terry asked, seeing how Kyo was dressed. "You just back from a cult meeting?"
"Nah I had to replace Yashiro at the CYS performance," Kyo said, much to their surprise. "He sprained his wrist and couldn't play. Shermie asked if I could, and I agreed."
"Why were you playing for them?" Athena asked. "I thought they despised you?"
"Well, Aoi made a pact with her, so we wanted her to undo it," Kyo explained. "She disagreed, but then faith had other plans. So she was forced to do it if she wanted me to replace Yashiro."
"But why you?" Terry asked. "And couldn't they just postpone?"
"They were performing for Izuki Sato's daughter's masquerade birthday party," Kyo said. "He offered them a huge sum and declining it would also tarnish their reputation. And apparently she thought that I was the only one who could play as good as Yashiro."
"Well, that explains the outfit," Terry said, sipping his coffee. "So you actually played as Yashiro?"
"Yeah," Kyo said. "That's why she made me wear a cloak and stuff. Wait, let me go get myself a drink too."
He went to the counter and bought himself a drink. He rejoined them, drink in hand.
"Gosh, it feels good to finally drink something hot," Kyo said, sipping his hot cocoa. "All those cold drinks..."
He was surprised that all of them were staring at their phones or at least, peeking at their friends' phones.
"What are you guys watching?" Kyo asked.
"Take a look," Iori said, handing his phone to Kyo with a smirk.
It was a video of CYS playing at Izuki Sato's home. Well, it wasn't exactly the CYS, it was CS and Kyo.
"You're all over the internet!" Iori said with a smirk. "But no one knows that it's you since... your getup..."
"Wow..." Kyo said, speechless. "Luckily Shermie did all of this to cover me up. My reputation would've been tarnished!"
"It so would've," Terry agreed. "But like this, you look like you're from some evil cult!"
"Yeah I know right," Kyo said, sipping his drink. "So where are we gonna perform?"
"Wait for it!" Iori said dramatically. "Drum roll please!"
Everyone started tapping the table, the noise echoing through the empty cafe.
"The International Music Fest!" Iori exclaimed cheerfully. "We'll be so popular!"
"Oh my gosh!" Kyo exclaimed, shocked. "Are you serious?"
"Yeah!" Everyone said in unison.
"Oh my gosh!" Kyo said excitedly. "And here I was jealous that those Heavenly Kings were playing for Sato's party!"
"That's just a party, Kyo," Iori said, patting his shoulder. "We're playing in a festival!"
Kyo was happy for his band. The event wasn't until for another two weeks. They looked forward to it and even planned for a practice the next day.
"My guitar's collecting dust," Iori said in dismay. "I need to see if it's okay. Hope the strings are okay..."
"I'm sure they'll be okay," Terry said reassuringly. "Rock always dumps his bass everywhere. I always warned him of the strings snapping, but to my surprise, they never snapped."
The moment he said that, Rock's string snapped as he was practicing back in South Town.
"Oh look, it actually broke!" Rock said, examining the string that popped out. "Looks like Terry was right after all!"
He went to get an extra string and quickly replaced it. Andy watched, shaking his head.

"Well, mine always snapped for some reason," Iori said with a shrug. "Not sure if I'm being too rough with it."
"Yes!" Aiko said after swallowing her mouthful of hazelnut latte. "You're really hard on it, Niisan. You pluck it as if you're plucking flowers!"
"Whoa, Yagami," Kyo said, laughing. "You don't have to be so rough!"
"I know," Iori said. "Well, sometimes, I pictured you as the strings and strum as hard as I can."
"No wonder..." Athena said, eying him with a slight smile. "Kensou says he pictures the strings of his guitar as the annoying paparazzi stalking us!"
"See, I'm not the only one that does that," Iori said, sipping his latte. "You guys should try it. It's a good way to relieve stress."
It was near closing time so they decided to leave. Kyo asked if Iori could drop him home and he agreed.
"You're unusually tall today," Iori said, looking up at Kyo. "Last time I checked, I'm a centimetre taller than you."
"I'm forced to wear heels," Kyo said, putting his mask back on while walking towards Iori's Subaru Legacy in case the party-goers were nearby. "I'm too short to play Yashiro so Shermie bought me some heels."
"Wow..." Iori said with a snort. "Well, you aren't that short. Just, too short to be Yashiro. Wonder what that snow-head did to grow like that..."
"Probably genetic," Kyo said with a shrug. "Anyway, thanks Yagami. Thanks for understanding my predicament."
"You're welcome, Kyo," Iori said with a slight smirk. "Well, I couldn't blame you. You did it for your cousin."
They arrived at Iori's car. They sat inside and Iori drove to the Kusanagi home.
"Alright, just park here," Kyo said when they arrived at the junction. "I'll take it from here."
"Are you sure?" Iori asked.
"It's pitch black, you couldn't possibly find your way," Aiko added.
Kyo made a flame in his hand and showed it to them.
"Okay, we get it," Iori said. "Now, don't burn my car."
Kyo put the flame out, smirking as he left the car. He was wearing the hood and mask. If anyone were there that night, they would've mistook him for a creepy stalker or even a serial killer...
The Yagamis watched as Kyo walked towards his house, a flame in his hand. He cautiously walked towards his house. He arrived at the gates and looked around before putting his flame out.
He slowly climbed the gate, landing with a soft thud on the other side. He creeped towards his dark house, making his way towards his bedroom window.
He jumped up and grabbed a strong branch from the Sakura tree that conveniently grew in front of his window. He reached for the window sill and grabbed it.
He left it unlatched and was very grateful for it. He slid it open and stepped into his room, as cautiously as he can.
Only, he accidentally bumped into his chest of drawers, sending some of his stuff towards the floor.
"Shoot!" Kyo cursed under his breath.
He quickly closed the window. He heard someone approaching his room.
"Nuts!" He cursed again.
He scrambled towards his bed and pulled the sheets up to his head and laid as still as he can.
Kyo heard his door open as his father came to see what he was doing. He turned the light on and saw that some of Kyo's stuff were on the floor.
But he also saw the sleeping figure of his son on the bed. Kyo let out a soft snore to convince his father that he was fast asleep.
Falling for it, Saisyu turned the lights out and closed the door before going back to his room. Kyo heard him enter his room and shut the door.
Kyo sighed in relief before he got out of bed and changed into his pyjamas. He hid his high-heeled shoes and cloak before getting into bed.
"What a narrow shave," Kyo said to himself as he changed his clothes. "Well, at least that loser bought it."
He changed and instantly went to sleep.