A narrow rescue

Terry and his friends returned to South Town after K's birthday party. They packed some cake too.
They returned home and changed into more comfortable clothing before sitting in the living room to watch television. As soon as they turned the television on, the local news popped up.
"Yet another dead body has been found in a dark alleyway," the news anchor reported. "The body has been identified as Mason Robertson, age thirty-four.
"The body has been severely scratched to death," the anchor continued. "The murderer escaped without a trace. The police are still investigating this case."
"Do you think it's him?" Scott asked fearfully. "Terry?"
"Maybe," Terry said. "We can't know for sure. After all, the police did shoot him. He fell into a river and disappeared. For all we know, he might've drowned. The currents are strong."
Scott bit his lip and nodded. Rock gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. Andy thought of a way to lighten the mood.
"Hey, Terry," Andy called his brother. "When's your next performance?"
"This Saturday," Terry said. He suddenly sat straighter. "Hey you guys! The South Town Festival is coming up!"
"Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about it!" Scott said in surprise. "Wow. It's this Saturday?"
"Yep," Terry said. "And we're playing."
"Yay!" Scott said, slightly excited. "I can't wait!"
Andy smiled at Terry. The thought of the festival really cheered Scott up a bit.

The police of South Town were having a hard time hunting for the murderer. They seemed to always escape the crime scene, leaving nothing behind.
"Where could he be?" Kevin asked, drinking his third cup of coffee as he pored over the pictures of the crime scenes. "Mary, what do you make of these?"
"It's definitely him," Mary said, sipping her coffee. "The murder styles are the same from two years ago."
"That's what I think too," Kevin said, nodding. "Vanessa, what do you think?"
"It's him," Vanessa said, frowning at her coffee. "Hmm I could use some beer. You guys wanna join me at Pao Pao?"
The detectives and police officers actually agreed with her.
"Maybe it will help us think properly," Ramon said. "Hey, is Veronica coming?"
Vanessa glared at him.
"That's a no..." Ramon said with a sigh.
Together, they went to Pao Pao Cafe and sat at the bar. Richard smiled at them and brought their drinks.
"Still doing detective work, I see?" Richard said, filling beer mugs for them.
"Yep," Kevin said. "Still trying to crack it."
"We might have a rough idea on who it might be," Vanessa said. "Anyway, how's it going, Rich?"
"It's going good around here," Richard said, setting their beer in front of them. "Though it would be better if that murderer disappeared. Say, Vanessa, your husband still doesn't know that you're a detective?"
"Nope," Vanessa said with a smirk.
"Seriously, how is that even possible?" Mary asked. "You literally entered a tournament, without hiding the fact that you're a detective. How do they not know?"
"I honestly don't know how," Vanessa admitted. "But hey, thank goodness he doesn't..."
"You're so lame," Ramon said. "Anyway, where does Veronica live?"
"Who's Veronica?" Richard asked. "The name sounds new."
"My sister," Vanessa replied. "You might've seen her, she's been here a hundred times!"
"Really?" Richard said, scratching his chin. "I only remember seeing you. You were even here everyday last week!"
"That's where you're wrong," Vanessa said with a smirk. "I only came here last Saturday. Not everyday!"
"That must've been Veronica, then," Ramon said with a smirk. "Ah Veronica."
"You better protect that sister of yours, Miss Vanessa," Richard said, wiping glasses behind the bar. "You know how he is, right?"
"I know..." Vanessa said, annoyed. "Ramon, remind me how we even became friends?"
"Well, you have to ask boss for it," Ramon said with a shrug. "But what can I say, it was the best thing ever!"
Vanessa kinda cringed.
"You're disgusting..." Vanessa said, shaking her head. "You came after me despite the fact that I'm married and have a kid!"
"Now that's not cool, Ramon," Kevin said, shaking his head in disappointment. "You could've ruined a family!"
"See?" Vanessa said, glaring at Ramon. "Even Kevin gets it!"
Vanessa faked crying while Mary started 'comforting' her.
Ramon rolled his eyes.
"I think you guys got too much to drink..." Richard joked.
"Dude, we haven't even finished our first glass," Vanessa said, stopping her fake crying. "We need more!"
Richard smiled in satisfaction and refilled their glasses as soon as they finished each glass. Kevin decided to go easy on the beer. At least one of them needed to stay sober.
Soon, they were so drunk that they had no idea what they were doing. Kevin was a little annoyed. He had a hard time stuffing them into the car, especially Ramon. He was practically out-cold after he drank glass after glass of beer.
Vanessa was a lot easier to handle. After all, she was used to drinking so much. She actually helped Kevin load Mary into the car.
Kevin was about to get into the driver seat to drive them home when he heard a noise in the alleyway beside Pao Pao Cafe.
"You guys wait in the car," Kevin told Vanessa. "I'll be right back."
He started the car and turned the air conditioning on. He opened the glove compartment and took out his spare gun, just in case. He went to the alleyway to check out.

"Please, no!" A young woman pleaded. "I only recently got married! I wish to have a happy life. Please, let me live."
The man neared her with a large knife.
"Please, I'm pregnant!" The woman pleaded again. "You wouldn't want to commit the sin of taking two lives, would you?"
The young woman backed away in fear. She realised that she was cornered when her back hit the wall. The bloodthirsty murder inched closer towards her.
"Please..." she pleaded again. "Let me live."
He was only inches away from her. He repositioned the knife in his hand to stab her. To stab her baby first
The young woman slid down the wall and crouched on the dirty ground. She didn't care about the filth, all she wanted was escape.
The murderer touched her chin with his gloved hand and pulled her face up to look at his masked face. The woman looked up at his tall figure with tearful eyes.
"It's always the best to see so much fear in one's eyes," the psycho said. "I'll teach you the joy of an instant death."
He brought the knife closer to her. The young woman tightly closed her eyes, squeezing the remaining tears out of her eyes.
"Step away from her," a voice boomed in the dark alleyway.
The young woman opened her eyes, hoping that it would all end. The first thing she saw was the murderer, his attention drawn away from her. Then she realised how another man was holding her murderer at gunpoint. The murderer complied and stepped away from her.
"Put the knife down," Kevin's voice boomed again.
He did.
"Put you hands where I could see them," Kevin growled.
He did it.
"Knees on the ground."
He did that too.
Kevin stepped forward, never once pointing the gun away from the murderer. He went towards the trembling woman and helped her up.
"Are you okay, ma'am?" Kevin asked, helping her up.
"I'm okay, sir," the woman said. "Thank you. You saved my life!"
"It's what I do, ma'am," Kevin said. "What are you doing here alone at a time like this?"
"My husband is in Pao Pao," the woman said. "I just went to the car to get something. We parked it behind."
Kevin asked her to go back inside Pao Pao while he dealt with the murderer. He turned around to face him, only to find him and his knife gone.
"Drat!" Kevin cursed, punching the wall in anger. He turned to the lady that he just spoke with. "Did you notice anything about him?"
"Nothing, sir," the woman said. "He was wearing a mask and he also wore gloves. But... I heard his voice."
"Meet me at the police station tomorrow," Kevin said. "I'll be there. My name's Kevin Rian."
The woman nodded and went back to Pao Pao. Kevin looked around and saw that the psychopath had completely disappeared. He left nothing behind.
Grumbling that he should've shot him then and there, Kevin went back to his car. He saw the pregnant lady walking back into Pao Pao Cafe.
"What took you so long?" Vanessa asked. "Where did you go?"
"It was the murderer," Kevin said, shifting the gear of the car. "He was trying to kill a pregnant woman."
"Wait..." Vanessa said, surprised. "Are you saying that you came this close to the murderer? What did he look like? Is he still in there? Did you catch him?"
"He got away," Kevin disgracefully admitted. "I was tending to the woman and he took the time to scram."
"Don't worry, Kevin," Vanessa said comfortingly. "We'll catch him soon."
He dropped Ramon and Mary off first. They have recovered a little and were sober enough to walk into their own home.
Vanessa had to sneak into her home. It was a good thing that Veronica was staying over and was keeping little Jackie busy. She felt that she should no longer keep her husband in the dark anymore.
'I'm gonna tell you soon,' Vanessa thought as she watched her husband's sleeping face. 'But not now, Luis.'