Chapter 7: The sorting hat

"Firs' years this way," a giant looking man called out, at first, I was a little scared of him but then I looked at him at little closer

"Firs' years this way," a giant looking man called out, at first, I was a little scared of him but then I looked at him at little closer. Even though he was over 8 feet tall and had a wild mane of dark hair and a beard, he looked like he was a gentle giant.

I grabbed hold of Danny's hand to make sure I didn't lose him in the crowd and headed over to the big man who was holding up a lantern so we could see where he was in the dark of night.

"That's Hagrid, he's the keeper of the keys which basically means he takes care of the grounds of Hogwarts," Cedric told us, as I grabbed hold of his hand as well.

"He looks like he's really nice," I said, looking around for Cassy and finding her with the twins laughing about something.

"Mum told me he's a gentle giant and would help anyone if they need it."

When all the first years gathered around Hagrid, he told us what we were going to be doing next.

"Okay everyone, we need to get in them boats over there, they will be takin' us to Hogwarts. Now let's head off and remember four to a boat."

Still holding on to Danny and Cedric's hands, we walked over to one of the boats and climbed in. I look over at Cassy to see she had got in to a boat with the twins and was laughing as she splashed them with water from the lake. When almost all the boats were full, a girl with dark hair walk over to us and nervously kicked at the ground.

"Do you mind if share your boat with you?" she asked quietly in an Irish accent.

"Of course! I'm Elsa and this is my cousin Danny and my friend Cedric," I said, holding my hand out to help her into the boat.

"I'm Maggie, it's nice to meet all of you," she said, sitting down carefully in the boat.

From his spot in the lead boat, Hagrid call out to the group to tell us what was going to happen next.

"Ok everyone, hold on tight. We're goin' ter be makin' our way across the black lake to get to Hogwarts where yeh will be sorted in to yeh houses. If yeh see anything move under the boats, don't worry it just the giant squid and he very friendly."

"Did he just say giant squid?" Danny asked, his voice going up an octave, moving closer to me and away from the edge of the boat.

"Yes, but Hagrid also said it was friendly," I told him as I wrapped my arm around my scared cousin.

"Yeah, sure, friendly," Danny said, clinging to me a little tighter as the boats started to move.

All of his fears disappeared as soon as Hogwarts came in to view. Even though I had already read Hogwarts, A History twice, but seeing it in person was another thing all together. It was a castle, just like Cassy has said it would be, and it sat on top of rocky hills. The windows were glowing with yellow light against the dark, night sky making it look like it was glowing. The building, itself was highlighted by the stars that were shining brightly in the sky. You could never see the stars like this in New York because the city was always lit up even in the middle of the night and don't get me started about the smog. Looking up at the castle, it was definitely one of the most amazing things I had ever seen on Earth or Asgard.