Chapter 34: The first rule about going on the run...

"First rule of going on the run is, don't run, walk," Nat told Dad as we walked through the mall towards an apple store where we could use on of the laptops so we could see what was on the USB

"Yeah, no offence Dad. But you kinda stand out a mile away," I laughed, looking over at him. He looked completely uncomfortable in the glasses and oversized skate shoes he had on.

"If I run in these shoes there going to fall off," he complained as we walked into the apple store.

"The drive has a Level Six homing program, so as soon as we boot it up SHIELD will know exactly where we are," Nat warned as Dad handed her the USB.

"How much time do we have?" he asked, looking extremely tense.

"Uh... about nine minutes from... now," she said, putting the USB into the port. "Fury was right about the ship, somebody's trying to hide something. The drive is protected by some sort of AI, it keeps rewriting itself to counter my commands."

"I guess we have Tony to thank for that. But can you override it?" I asked her, while keeping an eye on what was going on outside the store.

"The person who developed this is slightly smarter than me. Slightly. I'm going to try running a tracer. This is a program that SHIELD developed to track hostile malware, so if we can't read the file, maybe we can find out where it came from," Nat said, confusing Dad who had no idea what she was talking about.

"Can I help you guys with anything?" one of the employees asked them.

"Oh, no. My fiancé was just helping me with some honeymoon destinations," Nat said. Looking at the shocked look on Dad's face, I had to turn away so I wouldn't burst out laughing. He was definitely not one for going undercover.

"Right! We're getting married," Dad said, trying to play along with the charade

"Congratulations. Where are you guys thinking about going?" the employee asked as I spot someone who we really didn't want to see outside the store.

"New Jersey," Dad replied, reading the location off the screen.

"Seriously? That is soooo pathetic," I said, trying to act like a stereotypical teenager who wanted to be anywhere but where she was. "Besides, you guys said that you were going to drop me off at the movies so I could meet up Brock and that was meant to be, like, 5 minutes ago."