Chapter 25: Mudbloods and advice

Two weeks had passed since my argument with Cedric on the astronomy tower and I had isolated myself from everyone I cared about

Two weeks had passed since my argument with Cedric on the astronomy tower and I had isolated myself from everyone I cared about. I just couldn't bear the thought of being hurt again but more importantly I didn't want to hurt them as my powers continued to grow by the day. But when I woke up on Saturday morning, for a while I forgot that Cedric and I weren't speaking and I was lost in the dream that I just had. In the dream we were sitting in front of the black lake, I don't remember what we were talking about but we were both laughing. He had his arm casually draped around my shoulders and I was leaning into his side while he played absentmindedly with my hair. Both of seemed to be older than we were now and acted like we didn't have a care in the world.

Rolling over in my bed and leaning across Freya and Freddie to get my phone off the side table, the first thing I noticed was the date and the reminder that was under it; Saturday 22nd September- Cedric's Birthday =). Jumping out of bed, I rummaged through the trunk to get his birthday present out. I finally pulled out the gift I had searched all of the summer break for. Cedric always used to talk about how his grandfather, the one that was part of the Howling Commandos, used to read a muggle novel to him all the time and reminisced about how much he loved spending that time with him. When I asked him what the book was, he told me it was Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. He loved the story so much, so I managed to track a first edition copy of the book that was actually signed by the author. But as I held the wrapped book in my hands, reality came crashing back down on me.

Refusing to back down from that promise I made myself that night on the astronomy tower, I put the book back into my trunk and blinked away the tears. Once I regained my ice-cold persona, I got dressed and headed down to Hagrid's hut to see Theo. I felt bad dodging Danny and my other friends but I just wasn't ready to face them yet. Facing them meant facing the fact that I lost Cedric and I wasn't quite ready to do that. Besides, I wanted to keep them safe. My powers were growing by the day and I was scared that something might happen to them. I had even blocked Danny out through our bond, I could feel him continuously trying to get through but I just ignored it.

Leaning down to give Freya a quick pat and letting Freddie climb up my arm, I then headed out of the common room. Because it was so early in the morning, I could get out of the common room without being stopped by anyone. Since I had embraced my full 'ice queen' persona, the cold had started bothering me even less. The cold never bothered me anyway, I bitterly thought to myself as I made my way out of the castle.

I knew Loki had picked up on my change in attitude, I just hoped he didn't tell my parents. I knew Mum would understand how I was feeling and Dad would just want to make it all better but I didn't want to worry them. I was almost fifteen and it was time I started sorting these things out for myself.

Hagrid was out when I arrived at his hut but he had told me that I could let myself in to Theo's makeshift stable anytime I wanted. So opened up the gate to his enclosure, grabbed some food for him and sat down next to the Sleipnir. As he grazed on the carrots that I had given him, I ran my hands through Theo's silky mane.