Chapter 133: The Inquisitorial Squad

The first night back at Hogwarts all the prefects were called to a meeting by Umbridge

The first night back at Hogwarts all the prefects were called to a meeting by Umbridge. I had no idea what the Hel the woman wanted but whatever it was, it wasn't good. Nothing that woman ever did was good, she was like a walking nightmare come to life.

So instead of putting the final touches on the potions essay that I had been desperately trying to finish off for the entire Christmas break, even though it wasn't due for another week, Cedric and me were sitting in the great hall and waiting for the rest of the prefects to arrive. Umbridge watched us as with her fake smile as she sipped her tea like she was waiting for us to slip and say something wrong.

"You think Cassy' headache as gone," Cedric asked me, trying to break the awkward silence.

"She's probably sound asleep, sleeping it off. I made her go to Madam Pomfrey as soon as we got off the train," I told him as I noticed that Umbridge was paying a little too much attention to what we were saying and realising that I would have to cover for Cassy's obvious hangover. "I feel so sorry for her that she inherited those damn migraines from her dad. But she also inherited his brains so I guess you have to take the good with the bad."

"She also inherited his sense of humor," Cedric laughed, playing along with my cover story.

"You can say that again," Zane said as he walked into the great hall and sat down across from us. "But that was one thing she could have done without."

"Trust me, you learn to live with it," I told him.

Slowly the rest of the prefects started to filter into the hall, Draco and Pansy being the last. Pansy was hanging all over Draco which I could tell was the last thing that he wanted from the exasperated look on his face. When I caught his eyes, I gave Draco a small smile which he returned with an eye roll. That small interaction made me feel hopeful that maybe he had listened to what I had told him before the Christmas break.

"Wonderful," Umbridge said in her high pitched, girly voice. "We are all here and I hope you all had a lovely break and followed all the rules about magic outside of school put in place by the Ministry."

I looked at Cedric and looked at him with a small smirk. Of course, that was the one thing she cared about. Not that we had a good break or that we had fun, no, all she cared about was that we followed the rules. She couldn't even pretend to be a care teacher for one minute.

"Hem, hem! You are probably wondering why I have asked all of you here this evening. As you have most likely guessed, it is something very important," Umbridge giggled which made me feel even more on edge. Nothing good ever came from that giggle. "Over the holidays I have been rather busy with the Minister of Magic. We have decided to put together a little group called the Inquisitorial Squad."

"Excuse me, Professor," Able said politely. "But what is an Inquisitorial Squad."

"That is an excellent question Mr. Sommers," Umbridge chirped. "The Inquisitorial Squad is a group that I have handpicked for their dedication to the Ministry who will help be uphold the important values of this school. Of course, being prefects, my first choice would be all of you."