Chapter 80: The Triwizard Tournament

Cedric and I had been assigned the last perfect patrol shift on the Hogwarts Express, which meant not only did we have to spend the last hour of the train trip patrolling the trains corridor but we had to help the first years on to the boats

Cedric and I had been assigned the last perfect patrol shift on the Hogwarts Express, which meant not only did we have to spend the last hour of the train trip patrolling the trains corridor but we had to help the first years on to the boats. I was just happy it wasn't raining like it was the year before.

The only thing that anyone could talk about the whole trip was the 'special event' that was happening later on in the year. Honestly, all I wanted was a quiet year at Hogwarts after the craziness of the past couple of years. But I was intrigued about what the event was, only so I could find out how much of an impact it was going to have.

"What do you think this so-called special event is?" I asked Cedric as we walked down the Ravenclaw dominated part of the train.

"I really don't know but Dad seems to know what it is. He's been telling me that it will be my chance to make him and Hufflepuff proud," Cedric sighed.

"Um, he does know that Hufflepuff is already proud of you. Right?" I asked him, wondering if the man was ever going to stop pushing Cedric.

"Not in his eyes. I just hope whatever it is, isn't something that's going to be disruptive to the year," he told me.

"I wonder if whatever the event is, is the reason we needed to bring formal wear with us? I mean, I can't see Dumbledore deciding all of a sudden that Hogwarts is going to have prom," I laughed, thinking about Dumbledore pitching the idea of prom to Professor Snape.

"What in the name of Merlin is prom?" Cedric asked, sounding confused.

"It like a school dance, but more formal, I guess. Usually there is this big build up and people vote for the prom king and queen. It's really just some stupid popularity contest," I explained.

"That sounds...interesting. What's with muggle schools and voting for the most popular students?" Cedric asked, intrigued about muggles schools.

"Really? You're asking me? I have never been to a muggle high school. Everything I know about prom comes from pop culture and stories from people who have actually been to prom," I laughed.

"Right, I forgot about that," he laughed as we came up to a group of students blocking the corridor.

"Hey, guys. What's with the hold up?" I asked the group of students in front of me.

"Oh, we are waiting for Cho to finish paying for her sweets," one of the girls giggled as her looked Cedric up and down.

"Oh, course she is," Cedric sighed as he grabbed hold of my hand. "You can wait for her back in the compartment. You know the rules, no blocking the corridors."

"Yeah, sure. Of course," the girl giggle as she and her friends headed back to their compartment and I could have sworn I saw one of them check out Cedric from behind as they walked past us.