Chapter 115: I have a bad feeling about this...

"First years, follow me!" Professor McGonagall called out as we helped the new students on to the boats

"I wonder where Hagrid is," Cedric asked as we guided the first years towards the edge of the lake.

"I don't know, but I hope he's okay," I said, worrying about everyone's favorite half giant.

"I sure he is, love. Try not to worry," Cedric told me. "Now, let's make sure none of the first years fall in to the water as they are getting on to the boats."

It seemed to take forever to wrangle all of the first years in to one group and guide them towards Professor McGonagall who looked very out of place sitting on the head boat that would lead the rest towards the castle. But we did it, eventually which meant that the rest of the seventh-year prefects could finally head up to the castle for the start of year feast.

When we walked over to the carriages that would take us to the castle, Cedric stopped and turned pale as he looked at them. That was when I realised, he had never seen what pulled the carriages before and I had to admit, seeing it for the first time was a shock.

 That was when I realised, he had never seen what pulled the carriages before and I had to admit, seeing it for the first time was a shock

"You can see them, can't you? The thestral's I mean," I said softly as I took hold of his hand.

"Yeah, I, uh, just wasn't ready for it," Cedric said as he ran his hand through his hair. "I never thought that actually dying would count as seeing death because, well, you don't actually see it."

"Even though I kinda knew I would see them, it shocked me the first time. I mean, I should have known I was going to see them. I had just brought down a helicarrier full of Hydra agents but still. The only thing that makes it a little easier is knowing that they are actually kind and gentle creatures," I said as I pulled Cedric over to one of the thestral's and patted it on its snout.

I watched as Cedric hesitantly reached out and place a hand on the thestral's head at pat it. Ever so slowly the thestral began to trust Cedric and lean into his hand. Slowly Cedric started to relax around the thestral as he began to get used to the fact that he could actually see the magical creatures.

"Is it me or are the first years getting smaller," Zane asked as he walked over to us, startling both the thestral and us.

"Not really," I said as Cedric and I walked around to the back of the carriage to climb into it.