Chapter 85: The Champions

The next day almost everyone was sitting on in the entrance hall, watching people put their names in the Goblet of Fire

The next day almost everyone was sitting on in the entrance hall, watching people put their names in the Goblet of Fire. I was sitting with Cassy and Hermione, going over some of her ancient runes homework the she couldn't quite wrap her head around.

"You see, it pronounced eihwaz and it represents the Yew Tree," I said pointing to one of the runes in text book resting in Hermione's lap. "It stands for balance, enlightenment, death and Yggdrasil."

"But what I don't get is how it can mean enlightenment as well as death. They don't have anything to do with each other," Hermione said.

The problem Hermione was having when it came to Norse Runes was that death didn't always mean the end of everything. Things aren't always black and white when interpreting runes and unfortunately for Hermione, that's how she see's things. Things in her mind are either right or wrong or good or bad and that's where she was going to fail in some aspects of ancient runes.

"You have to look at it this way, Hermione. Ragnarök won't only be the end of everything as we knew it but, in its rubble, a new world will emerge. Odin sacrificed himself, hung from the branches of Yggdrasil for nine days while his side was pierced with a spear and gave his eye for the knowledge of the runes. Therefore, in his 'death' he gained balance and enlightenment," I explained.

"But why would he do that to understand the runes? Wasn't there another way of learning about them?" Hermione asked.

"Oh, I don't know. You don't just question the All Father as to why he felt the need to sacrifice himself for runes!" I said, getting a little frustrated and throwing my hands up in the air. "But knowing Odin, it was the only way to gain the knowledge! If he didn't, we wouldn't be sitting here having this conversation because there would be no such things as runes!"

"Spangles is right Granger. You have to look at the bigger picture when it comes to runes," Cassy said, laughing at my frustration.

Thankfully Maggie came over to us and sat down, saving me from the never-ending conversation.

"Where the boys? It's pouring outside, I thought they would be here by now," she said as she sat down next to me.

"I have no idea. They could be anywhere," I told her, just as Cedric, Danny, Hamish and Henry walked in the front door.

The four of them we drenched and laughing as they walked over to us. But before he had the chance to reach us, a group of boys from Hufflepuff that included Ernie and Justin started to push him towards the Goblet of Fire.