Chapter 37: It all ends here and now

Third POV

Third POV

James 'Bucky' Buchanan Barnes was a broken man. His mind had been manipulated so much that he didn't even know his own name any more. But one thing he did know was somehow he knew the man on the bridge. He didn't know where from, but he knew that the man once meant something to him.

Sitting in a bank vault, he started to have flash backs. He was on a train holding on for dear life as the man from the bridge tried to save him.

The next thing he saw was being captured by Hydra and them turning him into what he was today. Giving him his metal arm, freezing and unfreezing him whenever they need him. He was a tool, a weapon in the hands of Hydra. Nothing more, nothing less.

Alexander Pierce knew there was something wrong with his Winter Solider as soon as he stepped into the bank vault. His highly trained assassins was sitting and staring at nothing, but he wasn't thinking of nothing and that was a problem.

"Mission report," Pierce says to the assassin sitting in front of him, but the assassin continued to stare at nothing at all. "Mission report, NOW!"

When the assassin doesn't reply for a second time, Pierce hits him hard in the face trying to get him to focus.

"The man on the bridge...," Barnes says as the flashbacks continued. "Who was he?"

"You met him earlier this week on another assignment," Pierce told the assassin, worried that his memory was returning.

"I knew him," Barnes says softly, mostly to himself.

"Your work has been a gift to mankind," Pierce told the assassin, sitting down in front of him, determined to wipe any memory of Rogers from his mind.

"You shaped the century, and I need you to do it one more time. Society is at a tipping point between order and chaos. Tomorrow morning we're gonna give it a push. But, if you don't do your part, I can't do mine, and HYDRA can't give the world the freedom it deserves."

"But I knew him," Barnes said, confused about what was happening to his mind.

"Prep him," Pierce tells one of the scientists in the room. He was going to wipe Rogers out of his assassin's mind one way or another.

"He's been out of cryo-freeze too long," the scientist tells him, but Pierce really didn't care at all.

"Then wipe him and start over," Pierce tells them as he stands up and walks out of the room.

The scientists strap Barnes into his seat and place a mouth guard in his mouth as the start the preparations to wipe his mind again.

When the machine is turned on, Barnes tries to scream out from the pain but the mouth guard is stopping him. All he wants is for the pain to end, but the people around him don't care what he wants. After all, he is just a weapon to them.