Chapter 144: Grand Plans

Authors note: Introducing Katie McGrath as Gullveig-Heidi

"Look, I really don't care what you call yourself," I snapped at the ancient dark seidr user. "What I want to know is what the hell are you doing here? Why show up after all these years. I would have thought the whole dying three times thing would have told you that you aren't welcome on any of the nine realms. Especially not Midgard, not my home."

Gullveig-Heidi laughed at what I said, like it was the funniest thing that she had ever heard and giving her the appearance of some evil witch who had just poisoned the princess. Her cloak was rippling around her even though there wasn't a breeze in the room and her eyes seemed to glow a darker red. Somehow, I just knew she was going to be one of those villain's that insisted on explaining her grand plan and enjoy doing it. So, I was just going to let her so I could at least find out what she was doing on Midgard and if she had anyone working with her.

"My dear, can one not grow lonely and wish the company of others?" she asked me, placing a hand over her chest like she was completely innocent. "No, not even one as lowly as a half breed Asgardian like yourself would believe that. I grew tired of watching those who betrayed me from the River Dream. Gaining their every desire while I lay discarded, forgotten, an old bed time story used to frighten Asgardian children in to behaving when it was I who taught the All Father how to read runes! When it was I who taught him how to wield them as weapons against my own people! Without me, Asgard would be nothing. Odin would be nothing but am nothing more than a fading memory to the high one and I aim to correct that."

"Wasn't the reason that you were banished because you betray both the Asgardian and the Vanir," I said to her, holding my ground as she began to pace around me like a lion hunting their prey. "I actually think it's because of you that the Asgardian's and the Vanir stopped fighting and joined forces."

"Then the high one has another thing to thank me for," she laughed bitterly. "You know, my dear, that staff you hold in your hand once belonged to me. A thank you gift from the high one for teaching him how to use the runes. But what does he do? He takes it from me as soon as I am no longer useful and I think it past time it returns to its rightful master."

Gullveig-Heidi held her hand out, excepting the staff to fly back into her hand. Instead, it stayed firmly in my grasp, glowing golden as normal. I knew it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I couldn't help but smirk at the outraged look on her face when the staff didn't return to her.

"Looks like Odin's put another one of those annoying little spells on the staff," I said sarcastically. "You know, where you can't pick it up unless you were worthy. Like the one that he put on Mjolnir and I guess you're just not worthy anymore."

"You dare to speak to me in such an insolent tone!" Gullveig-Heidi snarled. "You have spent far too much time with your beloved 'Uncle.' You do know his true parentage, don't you? He's a monster, a frost giant, he is Jotun."