《Nihwé》 The Demon Is Born

Reviewer: MissRut
Written by: manigandanrmec

manigandanrmec
Thank you for your time and trust.

The Cover:
A mist, a silhouette. Unknown identity but obviously humanoid with a large dose of mystery. The cover keeps up with the mysterious theme as well as hidden identity. Its left for readers to figure out what comes next. A well-fitting theme but the concept is a bit boring at the same time. 3 points.

The Title:
Whether or not it is a literal demon, the title has created an effect that leaves the audience wondering if it's a figure of speech or literal being. Honestly it's spooky. 4 points.

The Blurb:
This feature of the book puts minds to rest just a bit by letting the audience understand that the 'demon' is a rampaging killer without a care in the world, just like a real demon but very much human. The only hitch is that it paints a plain picture for the audience so the earlier suspense could fizzle out and some might be disappointed. 4 points.

The Setting:
The stage is set in New York City for a world of adventure, questions and thrills of the life in the big apple however, it's a bit difficult to understand since not all the scenes have specific sites to relate or be pinned to. At least for now. As the book continues, it would be a great boost if there could be snippets of familiarity concerning the surroundings to make it easier to picture in the mind. 13 points.

The Plot:
Well, I can't be the judge of this yet considering the fact that the book is only on its fourth chapter and the blurb doesn't even have an excerpt but I can give 5 points for the flow of the story so far.

The Characters:
I doubt there is much a need to spell out all the characters since there is a fraction of the book dedicated solely to that though it is limited to names, ages and physical traits of the characters. A few names are a bit similar but anyone can tell Jack is one of the MC's and he has a lot of connections to the other characters, directly or indirectly. Not all of them have been given space to exhibit the attributes that make them so I can't be the judge of that, but the audience is watching and waiting for the heart attack effect and watch how the others come into play. 4 points.

The Content:
It has a lot of spine-chilling dialogue and questionable encounters with the unknown, healthy serving of murder here and there, a pinch of insanity and disagreement. Potential rollercoaster for an unsuspecting audience.  15 points.

Writing Style: The author has a very direct approach to the subject matter. It's straightforward in dialogue and in the overall narrative directly addressing events and occurrences.
The downside is it's a bit rushed in getting to the point and that rush leaves gaping holes in the story content. The narrative goes a bit too far too fast and any reader might have to go back and read it over again to understand it. While the idea of zero to hundred in the blink of an eye is not unwelcome in a book of any sort, that it overshadows the other elements at play can be very much discouraging.
The Demon Is Born stands a chance at being a favorite but without the readers getting carried along at will, there is every chance that the author will have to explain almost every incident at every turn. In other words, while some people enjoy figuring things out on their own, being forced to ask questions about it because they can't figure it out is a huge turn off for others especially for an intelligent audience. 6 points.

Grammar, Vocabulary &Sentence Structure:
I want to begin by saying that it is quite possible for books to be great even with the grammatical standards or defiance of the laws of English or writing in general. There are many books turned favorites of some even with all the errors but the fact that they are loved doesn't necessarily bring them to the top of the ladder.
The number one hitch in The Demon Is Born is the use of words out of context. That only gets more serious with the numerous omissions of words in sentences as well as punctuations. Punctuations do a lot to change the meaning of sentences and word omissions make or mar an entire paragraph.
I recommend an extensive study of the use of punctuation marks as well as synonyms, the types of nouns, tenses and conjunctions amongst others. I also recommend studying the writings of established authors in the field of interest to gain a firmer grasp of it all. The strengths of this very book lie in the storyline and organization of the events in general but it fails to meet up with the other aspects of communicating with the audience. 11 points.

Engagement with Readers:
From all that I read- most especially in the comments- it was obvious readers were already very much interested in the book but there was also a great deal of confusion on some parts. In my opinion, this book is off to a good start- after all, I read it numerous times- but it can be so much more with a little tweaking in a lot of places. It's fairly engaging and has quite a strong hook. 13 points.

Total Points: 78/100