Life Before

—Your POV—

You woke up early today, on the same trashy mattress you accidentally fell asleep on. Sighing, you pushed yourself off of it. Muttering a small 'good morning' to your wall, you got the morning started. 

You were slightly on edge as you popped two pieces of bread inside the toaster. Multiverse News had reported multiple universes in your sector being attacked by a band of pillagers. Of course, everywhere was on high security, but what did the government ever do for you? Take your money for empty promises? Charge innocents for crimes that they have no proof of? Destroy and colonize thousands of miles of beautiful, open land, just to turn it into landfill? 

That's how you saw it anyway.

A small *tink* from the toaster signified your toast was done, and you took the bread out to eat. It was a Saturday, no school, no rent, if you just dragged yourself out to work on time, then you could hold it together for another week or so, before having to find another odd job. 

A soft hum came from you as you bit the buttery toast. You were content after eating the two. 

Checking the time however, you only had 40 minutes to catch the bus and get to work. Since you didn't have a car, the inexpensive bus was a luxury to you. Though, the increase of monsters in your area might make things less affordable. 

Slipping on an oversized cream colored sweater over your green blouse, you checked your drawer for some nice pants before settling on a sleek black trousers meant to keep you warm. 

You slid out of you pr apartment room, hopped onto the banister to fly past the staircase, and just as you thought your little skit would go unnoticed a familiar voice called out your name. 

"HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU TO STAY OFF THE BANISTER!!!?"

It was Larry, he was miss Linda's wife, fond of screaming at you and criticizing the poor.

 "I'm telling the manager on you. Don't be upset when I double you rent." The last part was a hiss so venomous you shuddered. "I'm s-sorry Mr. Larry." Cursing yourself for the stutter, you quickly ran out of sight. 

If you were ever late, it was never because of Larry. 

You ran until you reached the bus stop, plopping down in your usual spot. Luckily for you, the mobsters weren't here today, and that meant only you and some random homeless guy were here. 

"Care to spare an old geezer a nickel sweetheart?" 

You internally cringed at the pet name, not to mention the rasping voice of the decaying old man. Self-consciously, you scooted further away from him, and began rifling through your bag for any spare change. 

Suddenly Larry's words rang through your head, and you felt very, very, small. 

"Uh, sorry sir but I have no spare change." You glanced at him apologetically, and he nodded solemnly. "That's okay, just please drop by sometime." You gave a quick bob of your head in response before the bus showed up, bidding the man your goodbyes you got on the bus and drove out into the nicer parts of the city.

—Time Skip—

After handing the bus driver your 5$ bill, you got off the bus and walked the extra block or so to work. 

Like normal, the small salad bar was filled well, enough to guarantee you a good paycheck. You smiled at this feeling a small sense of hope as your soul fluttered slightly in your chest. 

However, your little moment was cut short— by someone you didn't like in the slightest. 

"You, Babe, Hon, Sugar, I don't know who you think you are just waltzing in, dressed like a gorilla, and late." You tensed at the tone, it was your manager Fritz as everyone calls her, who was never afraid to call you out,(or cuss you out) on the spot, often in public. 

"Heya Fritzy..." You replied weakly, earning a scoff and a few whistles from onlookers. You timidly speed walked over to the working area where you slipped on a small vest, hat, and name tag that you sloppily wrote your name on. 

"Much better." Fritz purred, looking you up and down. "You better get to work huh, babe? Else you're gonna have another heated conversation with the boss." She chuckled humorlessly and bumped you on her way by, nearly making you drop the veggies you were cleaning hurriedly. 

"Bitch." You muttered as soon as she was out of earshot. One of the only monsters working here leaned over and took the veggies, quickly drying them and sending you a wink before heading to the counter to ring up orders. 

You were a chef of sorts, simply one of many who stayed in the large kitchen to help prepare salads and drinks. From Wednesday to Saturday, you worked your shifts from 11:00 am to 8:00pm. 

Sure it wasn't a bad job, working 8 hours a day and 4 days a week, bringing home around 200$ every couple weeks meant 25 bucks a day right? Well that's when to greedy little government weasels it's way into your money to pay it's debt. 

And suddenly, 200$ dollars seems like 20. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First chapter down, I'm excited fam. 

Oooh what a life huh?

- De Moogus